Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for in-service material.
I really appreciate all the helpful advice and links you provided.  I
didn't get a tremendous number of responses, but what I got was good.  I
feel fairly well armed to begin the process of creating these
trainings.  The responses are listed below following a copy of my
original post.

My original post was:

I have finally come to the long overdue realization that I am never
going to make any progress getting my students to use the net and
technology effectively if I don't first instruct the teachers.  Just
yesterday, I had to explain yet again to a teacher that sending the kids
the the Internet to "google" for info for a report is not a responsible
or effective way to teach research skills or to meet the "technology in
the classroom" standards and benchmarks.  So, with the blessings of our
Curriculum Coordinator I am now creating an in-service workshop designed
to instruct teachers in successful ways to use the web and the
technology in our library and our classrooms.  Since there is much I
still don't know about using things like wikis and blogs, I am appealing
to the collective wisdom of this group for good ideas and "must
includes".  I know I want to teach about website evaluation and using
essential questions to guide research and I know I want to include
creative approaches such as using wikis to teach a unit, but I could use
more ideas and examples and good net links  from those of you willing to
share.  Thanks so much in advance.  I will post a hit if there is interest.

We find it helpful to do a 5-10 minute Tech Minute at each full staff meeting.
Sometimes we demo a database, or a piece of equipment etc.

Please feel free to use my video booktalk website if you think it
could be useful.
http://www.bookwink.com

I just saw your posting on LM_Net. I am sending you links to materials

that you may want to use in a workshop for teachers. You may have to

adapt it to make it generic (I am the education consultant for ProQuest)

but it should provide you with a good start.

http://www.proquestk12.com/lsm/pqelib/pdfs/elibgooglecompare.pdf

http://www.proquestk12.com/lsm/pqelib/pdfs/antiplagguide.pdf

http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStoryts.cfm?ArticleID=6725

I would recommend that you start with a simple use of technology. If you

can create a web page, try getting your teachers to let you organize

selected, highquality sites that you tailor to the research needs of their

assignments. Of course, you can do the same thing with a blog, but it is

the concept of guiding them to the best sites via a librarian-created

hotlist or webliography that is extremely powerful.

I am using this site to teach web evaluation:

http://www.allaboutexplorers.com/index.html    It's about explorers but
it's really a web evaluation WebQuest lesson.  There's lots of support
material on the site as well.

I also have a lesson on my blog that you might want to check out.  I'm
using this in an elementary school but perhaps you could adapt it to
your need.

This skills lesson is on my Library Skills Blog
at: http://csslibraryskills.blogspot.com/

I use this blog when I'm teaching.  It's been a great tool.

nless you are planning several sessions, teaching

them how to do an effective web search will take up

your whole time.

I did a mini-workshop this AM on Google, attendance

voluntary. (not many) People went away in awe and

amazement: search strategies, advanced searching,

Google scholar, google directory. You could have

knocked them over with a feather. I printed out the

materials that Google provides through its librarian

newsletter.

We're tryng to personalize our tech teaching, by

telling teachers ahead of time what skills they need

in order to benefit from the presentation. (Classroom

Connect has done this for years at their conferences).

We've also come to the conclusion that an outside

presenter is seen (at least by the admins) as being

more "professional".

If anyone else has ideas they would like to share, I would be happy to receive them!

Marian Royal
Librarian
Socorro High School\
Socorro, NM