I received very few recommendations for document cameras, but many, many requests
for HITS.

As I said in my original post, I have an Elmo TT-02.  Our principal is now planning
to buy a few more document cameras for our school, and she wanted me to see if
there were any better.

Here were the recommendations I received:
"We have Toshiba 91A projectors that have document cameras.  We are still
experimenting with them as we bought 33 of them through a grant.  From what I see,
the teachers are learning to love them.  It takes a little getting used to and some
time to figure out how to make it work for each teacher."
"We just bought 5 AverMedia visual presenters.  Our BOCE cooperative got to try it
for a year before it became available to buy. It rivals Elmo, for sure.  It is PC
and Mac compatible and has a couple of features Elmos do not--such as a card reader
and recording option.  We paid $1280 on a bid for sewveral schools, and we get a
5-year waranty."
"We have several makes and models and we love them.  Social studies loves them for
maps, articles, and realia.  Math loves them for manipulatives and calculators.
Science, of course, needs them for experiments.  English uses them to save paper.
Our current favorite is by Averkey (now called "Avervision") and I believe the
model is 300i.  I know that one is discontinued, but the new version is 300p.  Go
on the websites for Troxell (www.trox.com) to find out prices.  I think we were
quoted $648 for the 300p.  There is a tiny Elmo that folds that is ueful, but the
head is not adjustable.  These are phasing out overhead projectors, for sure."

We've decided to buy an Avervision 300p, which is compatible with MAC as well as
PC.  We are paying approximately $604 + $38 for the microscope attachment.  A
sturdy carrying case is included.  Although we don't have it yet, it seems superior
to the Elmo in several ways:

It is more portable.  It will fold flat.  It comes with a carrying case.  The case
for the Elmo is extra, and it is soft.
It has higher resolution.
It has 4 laser positioning points to help the user know where to put the document.
It has a built in LED light, so you can use it in a dark room.
It's also cheaper.  Check the Internet for even lower prices.
It has a five-year warranty.

These are superior to overheads in many ways.  It takes up less room, though you do
have to hook them up to an LCD projector.  You can put ANYTHING under them--maps,
pictures, worksheets, sculpture, foreign stamps.  The image is in color, and you
can zoom in and out to change the image.  I saw a teacher use it to teach map
scale.  Another teacher put the student assignment notebook right under it and
demonstrated how she wanted it set up.  Another teacher read a picture book--in the
past we scanned picture books and share them this way (probably a copyright
violation).  Another teacher had students share their projects this way.

After I get it, I'll post a message on the listserv indicating how we like it.

--
Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School