Dear Arlene
I recently gave a presentation at the national conference for New Zealand
librarians entitled
Landscaping your Library and it focused on the need for making the library an
attractive and
enticing environment.

Because I wanted to demonstrate that this was based on sound pedagogical principles
and therefore
the time invested was justified, I spent quite a bit of the presentation presenting
the latest
learning research.  I particularly focused on the work of Geoffrey and Renate
Caine, especially
their Twelve Principles of Learning.  http://www.cainelearning.com/  Those that
particularly apply
are
.       the brain functions at many levels simultaneously as thoughts, emotions,
imagination,
predispositions and physiology  interact and exchange information with the
environment

.       the brain absorbs information both directly and indirectly,  continually
aware of  what is
beyond the immediate focus of attention, to the extent that 70% of what is learned
is not directly
taught.

.       learning involves conscious and unconscious processes, including
experience, emotion and
sensory input, and that much of our learning  occurs and is processed below the
level of immediate
awareness so that understanding may not happen until much later after there has
been time for
reflection and assimilation

So quite aside from whether we are visual learners or not, there is proof that word
walls and
whatever else have an important part to play in learning, whether they are in the
library or the
classroom.

In relation to visual learning, some time ago I asked for stats about the % of
visual learners
compared to audial and kinaesthetic learners and this is a copy of the hit I posted

"For those of you who asked me to post a hit, there is little I can offer.  I
searched the Net and
although I found a number of papers, most of them seemed to be a copy and paste of
each other and
all referred back to

Farrald, Robert R., Shamber, Richard G., A Diagnostic and Prescriptive Technique: A
Mainstream
Approach to Identification, Assessment and Amelioration of Learning Disabilities.
Sioux Falls, South
Dakota, Adapt Press 1973.

who suggested that 80% of learning was via the eyes (although the more senses
involved the more
powerful the experience) and that 40% of people are primarily visual learners,
rather than audial or
kinesthetic."

Perhaps this is the sort of thing that your teachers need to read and know.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
PALMERSTON ACT 2913