Amen to Amy,

We can only do something with what we are given. My budget is very low (all
based on tuition) which helps with cataloging (I do mostly original). We get
many donations plus the books I get as a reviewer for Catholic Library World
and the books I get for my YALSA/PPYA work.

This year I am not having a library club (processing, shelving, etc.) as it
became too much work to handle 15 boys (for some reason they were all boys
although we are a coed school). Last period I was cataloging while a class
sat in front of me finishing up research . The teacher asked me if I would
speak of the 60s and what we wore (we are in Spirit week  and students are
dressing in various decades). So processing and cataloging ended and I
talked for about 40 minutes about communes, afros, beads, and peace signs.
The point of all this is: even when you assign priorities to tasks, you
still must be flexible.

I have books in my office needing cataloging - some have been there for 4
years (mostly donations); I have 1,000 CDs that need cataloging (again
donations). I do have an aide for one hour a day (she processes) and a
mother who shelves (once a week). Everything else has to be put on a waiting
list.

An ideal situation? NO - but it is what I have been handed. Should I have a
full time aide? YES - but there is no money for such.

One has to do what one can do - and not feel guilty about it if one can't
change it.

Allan

Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo (Brother Donogh Allan, MGC)
Bishop Kearney High School Library
125 Kings Highway South
Rochester, New York 14617

585-342 - 4000 x231
585-342 - 4694  (FAX)

acuseo@bkhs.org

Education in the tradition of the Christian Brothers and the School Sisters
of Notre Dame
FAC OMNIA BENE (Do all things well)

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: The information contained in this
electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, may contain
confidential information that is legally privileged and confidential. The
information is intended only for the use of the recipients (s) named above.
If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the
sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying,
distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the
information received in error is strictly prohibited.