MIDDLE: Richie's Picks: LEMONADE MOUTH by  Mark Peter Hughes, Delacorte,
March 2007, ISBN: 0-385-73392-2; Libr. ISBN:  0-385-90404-9.

"Lonely day
After the storm has come and gone
There will never be another tomorrow like today.
In my own way
I wait for the light of dawn
I look for a sign of things to come and change to  stay."
--Lemonade Mouth, "Back Among the Walls," from their  CD, Live at the Bash.

LEMONADE MOUTH is the story of five socially-struggling high  school freshman
who come together through a combination of chance and the  wisdom of a sorely
misused music teacher to form the legendary band, Lemonade  Mouth.  It all
begins on the afternoon when the five  students end up in Freshman Detention
which is scheduled in the  dungeon-like basement classroom of the aforementioned
music teacher, Mrs.  Reznik.

There is Stella who has begun her freshman year at  Opoquonsett High in Rhode
Island as the new kid in town.  A frustrated  student in a family of geniuses
and step-geniuses, her mom's new research job  has taken Stella unwillingly
across the country.  She has landed  herself in detention for an act of
rebellion in response  to having previously been sent home for wearing a  tee-shirt
whose artwork had never been at issue in her old school  back in Arizona.  But
the vice principal has told her, "  'Opoquonsett High doesn't have a dress
code, exactly.  It's just that  we have an unwritten line and that shirt crosses
it.' "  (As my friend  Skeezie Tookis would say, "What kind of stinkin' rule
is  that?")

There is Wen who is struggling with his  feelings regarding his father's
buxom twenty-something girlfriend,  Sydney.  In regard to the humiliating incident
in social studies  that has landed him in Mrs. Reznik's room, receiving
detention as a result  of that debacle is the absolute least of Wen's problems.

Mohini must be considered the least likely of the quintet  to be in any kind
of trouble.  The overachieving daughter of  immigrants, she has recently
exchanged "a lifetime of social  obscurity," along with her consistent obedience to
her father's strict  rules and to her own long-range school and career Plan,
for the thrill  of being seen around school with an older student who is both
a popular soccer star and part of the band Mudslide  Crush.  It was he who
persuaded Mo to  skip her Independent Study class; they were subsequently seen
and  reported.

Meanwhile, Charlie is struggling with his obsession over  how fate chose him
to be born fine while his identical twin Aaron was  stillborn as the result of
being strangled by the umbilical cord.   Charlie perceives Aaron as a harsh
voice in his head who constantly  points out what a failure Charlie is.  In
this instance, he has ended  up in Mrs. Reznik's room through his failure to
properly aim the spitball that  was meant to retaliate for the one with which a
renowned  school bully had just nailed him in the face.

Finally, Olivia has spent most of her life living with her  grandmother after
her mother abandoned the family and her struggling father was  convicted of
murder in a failed store robbery.  She finds herself  in detention with Stella,
Wen, Mo, and  Charlie for skipping American lit, where she was facing another
 in the series of chapter quizzes that "strip away the fun of a good  book."
Instead of going to class, she gets caught hiding out reading the  rest of
the book.

Together, as a result of an incident in detention and the  subsequent
encouragement of Mrs. Reznik, the five pool their hidden talents  -- musical and
otherwise -- to become the pride of the unsung average and  oft-picked on kids at
their high school and far beyond it.  And, as might  be said, the rest is
musical history.

"HOLD IT HIGH!  RAISE IT UP!"

My heart is singing every time my mind pulls me back  to what I just
experienced.  Count me in as a the #1 charter member of the  Lemonade Mouth Fan
Club.

Richie  Partington
Student, SJSU  SLIS
BudNotBuddy@aol.com