After my request for ideas for using a document camera, I got some
answer to that question. I thought I was one of the last to get on
the band wagon for this, but with the lack of responses I have had, I
guess I am on the 'bleeding edge'...again!  ;-) Part of the problem
is that in order to use a document camera you also need to have a
video projector...

A document camera is the 21st century version of an opaque projector
but far better! (though I doubt I would ever have put my hands in an
opaque projector!) However it is small, lightweight and portable. You
do need a video projector to work with it. I have attached a link so
you can see what one looks like. There are several different
brands...Elmo and Avermedia are two that I know of ... This is the
Avermedia version..  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/
SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2224211&CatId=1035

You can put down anything and it will show up on the screen. You can
zoom in to show details; it is an easy way for students to share
their work. I am now thinking that there are books that I haven't
been able to share with children because the illustrations are
soooooo small (How Brown Mouse kept Christmas and Beatrix Potter
books come to mind).

Our state bid price is $500 and a video projector is about $1000, so
it is a hefty expenditure, but WOW, one of the most useful tools I
have seen in a long time. I loved it when I got a video projector to
attach to my teaching computer; this has just added another
dimension. I can see it being used for science and math along with
reading and writing!]

Hope this helps!

Barb

Barb Engvall