(I usually try to keep my big mouth shut about controversial topics, so I
will probably live to regret this posting!  Here goes, anyway!)

When I read the initial posting about the Skippy Jon Jones books, I thought
the book sounded really cute, and my immediate thought was to go out and buy
it for my 4-year-old granddaughter.  Then I read your comment, Stacy, about
the child who was sensitive to the laughter of the other children and
perceived it to be an insult to his culture, which is obviously important to
him.  I thought your discussion with the children was a nice way to handle
it; as teachers we all have to adjust to the age and personalities in the
class.

You also mentioned other books and other accents that characters might have
in a story.  Do we completely stay away from reading any kind of book that
has a character with a particular accent?  My family is French Cajun from
south Louisiana.  I have read several books with characters speaking in
Cajun accents.  I actually grew up in southeast Texas; I have also read some
picture books with characters who speak in a very country sort of "redneck"
accent.  And during Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo last year, I read books
featuring cowboys, all of whom spoke in the accent I guess I would call a
Western drawl.  (Of course, being from East Texas, I can "do" those accents
really well! )

Maybe the age group of the kids makes a difference.  I think with 2nd grade
up, I could have probably had a nice discussion with the kids about how
people speak differently depending on what country they are from, or what
region of a country they are from.  And that sometimes it can be amusing to
us to hear someone who speaks differently, and that there is a difference
between laughing at someone and laughing with someone.  And when we're
reading a book aloud, maybe ask the students if we are just laughing because
the character sounds funny to us, or more because what he is doing or
talking about is funny.

As I said, Stacy, I'm sure you did exactly the right thing for your students
and the age group they are.  We all have to make judgment calls regarding
that.

Debbie Dougharty
dougharty1@hotmail.com
Debbie.Dougharty@fortbend.k12.tx.us

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of
an ignorant nation." Walter Cronkite