I inherited a library with about 150 software cds on the shelves in the
storage room. I sent a bibliography out to the teachers to try to get some
checked out. The only response I have received was from the tech coordinator
who was all up in arms because she said I can't do that! She said we don't
know if we have site licenses or single use licenses for them. I told her I
assumed they were single. Then she said the teachers can't download software
to their computers, only the technologist can and that wouldn't be a high
priority item. I suggested that some of them could be used off the cd and
not downloaded. She agreed I could check those out to the teachers.
Now I have a student that wants to check one out. It has to be downloaded to
work. I don't know if you have to leave the cd in the computer for it to
work or not. Would this be a copyright issue? What if she downloaded it to
her home computer and kept it after returning the disk?

I'm going to have to find a home for all of this stuff. I just hate having
it on the shelves going nowhere.
Can I offer it to other libraries or teachers in our district? Would that be
a violation of the copyright?

If no one at school wants to use them, can I sell them?

Sandra Carswell, Librarian
S.C. Lee Junior High School
1205 Courtney Lane
Copperas Cove, TX  76522