I haven't used it in a LONG time....but in the late 1980's, I used it for an
English class---we also listened to the "old time radio broadcast" of the
program on cassette.  This was just before the Internet was available in
many schools, so I was using the radio broadcast / book to show students how
to distinguish between propaganda and real news.  I also used the radio
broadcast (the next year) for a high school Speech and Drama class.  We were
determining the types of speeches that might be presented to persuade people
to do things.  From the radio broadcast, we discussed the drama issues
involved using radio to convince people (who couldn't see what was
happening) that what was spoken was the truth.

If you can find the radio broadcast and pair it with the book, you can
probably create a great project now with the Internet as our (often) main
source for up-to-date information.

~Shonda

On 9/1/06, Joanne Kozumplik <jkozumplik@fs-dms.org> wrote:

> Has anyone done anything with War of the Worlds for upper middle
> schoolers/high schoolers? I thought it would be useful on 2 counts - 1)
> To talk about 'Hoaxes' and unreliable information (ie; the original
> radio play prompted people into thinking the Martians really had landed)
> but also as a neat intro to a lesson on the Universe and the Pluto
> updates.
>

> Anyone already have some ways they've used this?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Joanne Kozumplik
>
> Librarian
>
> The Foundation School
>
> 1330 McCormick Drive
>
> Largo, MD 20774
>

> 301-773 3500 ext. 1162

> You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
> by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/sub/