Hi!

Our school has used AR very successfully for more than 10 years, but that's not why
I'm writing in.

Cindra, who posted the question, appears to be in a K - 2 school.  [ "I now teach
27 classes per week, 50 minute classes each, to K-2."]  Who would be taking these
quizzes?  Children who are just beginning to read should definitely not be taking
automated recall quizzes.  In K and 1, it should be all about the joy of making
sense of the letters and words, and the amazing accomplishment of learning to read.
 Grown-ups should be reading aloud to these kids great folk and fairy tales and
high interest longer books -- and kids should be encouraged to talk about these
stories, draw, create, act, dance, etc., in response to them.  Although AR has been
right for our school, (Pre-K - 6), it seems like a waste of resources for hers.

Just my thoughts,
Robin

Robin Shtulman, Librarian
Erving Elementary School
28 Northfield Rd. Erving, MA 01344
413-423-3326
shtulman@erving.com
http://www.erving.com/library/erving_library.htm
"Let's go to the library;
I bet we can learn some valuable things there."
Harry & the Potters