I know this is going to sound like an odd question, considering most of us are
drowning in work and those who don't have assistants would kill to have one, but
believe me when I say it's a genuine one.

  I've just started a new postion, and our library is in a state of flux.  The
renovation that was supposed to be done by the time school started is not, so our
books are still in boxes (waiting on the new shelves) our circ desk is two tables
pushed together and we're functioning basically as a fancy computer lab.

  There are no books to check in or out or put away, and so far the technology has
been running so smoothly there's no trouble-shooting there.  We can't work on the
relabeling project because, again, all the books are packed away & we cannot
currently make changes in the online catalog.  We're a university lab school, and
all our book processing is currently done by the university's library (we're
working to change that, but it will take a bit of time), so the 100+ new books that
arrived last week required minimal work from us.

  My assistant has very little to do .  I need to come up with some creative tasks
to fill his time - right now he's surfing the Net and reading the paper, and I
don't want people to see too much of that and begin to question our need for an
assistant (a need that will certainly be there when our renovation is finished and
we become a full-service library again).

  Do any of you have suggestions for things to keep him busy right now?  I'm
thinking along the lines of creating resource lists, starting some kind of new
program -anything that will help keep him busy and feeling useful for the next
month or so. I have plenty of instructional tasks to fill my time, but I'm drawing
a blank for him!

  Thanks,
  Anita

Anita Beaman, Librarian