Thank you, LM_NET community, for your help and quick responses. Here's
what you had to say:

Something that we've found useful here in similar situations is books
from the "Second Chance Reading" series of Scholastic (I assume
Scholastic USA carries it... we actually get it from Scholastic Canada).
I particularly like the Sparklers series, as they look like "real
chapter books", but have a very low reading level - in some cases only
one or two sentences per page, and also give lots and lots of visual
clues for ESL readers.

Here's the link to the Scholastic Canada info page

http://www.scholastic.ca/education/second_chance/index.html

**************************

I used Follett Titlewave to find the books you are describing.  You can
sort by interest level and by reading level.  I bought about $2500 worth
of books for the HS.

******************************

Perfection learning has nice sets of high-low books.

********************

You might try the Stone Arch books.  Very low level but targeted at
middle school.  You can track them down through their web site.
www.stonearchbooks.com   Also, Don Johnston has started to publish some
good
titles in their Start-To-Finish series.  Their website isn't as user
friendly as their catalog, but by going to it you could get them to send
you one.  donjohnston.com

************************

Have you considered the Axle Galench series. Reading Level is 4.0-5.0
but the interest level is 3rd grade through 8th grade. Since the main
character is a boy, these books are appealing to the reluctant male
readers.

www.axlegalench.com

***********************

Orca publishing or Orca Sounding (you can put "orca" in the publisher
part of the Follett search and get a list) ...they publish books that
are YA novels but on a second and third grade reading level. They don't
look like "baby" books...and even kids that don't read on low levels
enjoy them. ...they are not necessarily Newbery contestants but they
serve the purpose well. ...some content may be controversial so be sure
you know what you are buying :-)

**************************

High Interest/Lo Read
By Jo Lewis
This collection contains easy-to-read books on topics that appeal to
today's teens.
http://www.quizlist.net/BookList.aspx?lid=4978&oid=0

****************************

Also I received a phone call (qualified thanks to whomever forwarded my
query) from a rep with ProQuest's "Reading A-Z" website, which
apparently includes downloadable leveled readers and benchmark books, to
determine a reader's level. I've never used it, but I'm going to look at
a trial. Maybe I'll post a review if anybody else is interested.

---Bob.

/*  Bob Hassett, Head Librarian     */
/*  Luther Jackson Middle School  */
/*  3020 Gallows Rd.                    */
/*  Falls Church, VA, 22042          */
/*  rehassett@fcps.edu                */
/*  (703) 204-8133                        */