Here's an update to the Freshman Study skills project that required students
to create a wiki that details information about our school's library.  As of
today:

*  approximately 70 pages have been created for the wiki
*  93 students are working on the project together
*  students have been working on it (in their spare time) throughout the day
and evening hours (as noticed both within the library and by the wiki's date
and time stamps)
*  most students have done a pretty decent job at answering questions and
investigating the library
*  some students are over-achievers (don't we love them!)....check out this
page from a student who wanted to "sell the database"...(his words)
http://moncrieflibrary.pbwiki.com/EBSCO's%20MasterFILE%20Premier

*  Tuesday is the deadline for finishing the project---editing, adding,
deleting.  After that, I will offer access to the wiki only if students want
to continue adding content beyond the deadline.  Otherwise, the wiki
information will be checked for accuracy, corrected, and then posted for
everyone at school (and within the wiki-world) to browse or use.

It's been fun!  I think most of the students enjoyed the project and some
even fought over the elementary databases because..."they are SO much fun!"
In fact, one girl said, "I LOVE my database!  I've been on it for the
past two hours and it's SO cool!"  I won't name the database but it was for
elementary students and she was giggling.

Of course, it's not perfect....it's a wiki!  But the experience was
worthwhile because the students began to understand how information can
change daily---and sometimes, unknown individuals can manipulate YOUR
information by changing it without your permission.

Thanks for visiting.  I'll post any after-the-wiki results, if we have any.
If you want to create your own class wiki, go to :  http://www.pbwiki.com

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco, MLIS