Richie's Picks: THE ABSOLUTE TRUE DIARY OF A  PART-TIME INDIAN by Sherman
Alexie, illustrated by Ellen Forney, Little Brown,  September 2007, ISBN:
0-316-01368-4

"Mr. President you ought to know that this nation is more a  'Tale of Two
Cities' than it is just a 'Shining City on a Hill.' "
-- Mario Cuomo, 1984 National Democratic Convention Keynote  Address

"It sucks to be poor, and it sucks to feel that you somehow  deserve to be
poor.  You start believing that you're poor because  you're stupid and ugly.
And then you start believing that you're stupid  and ugly because you're Indian.
 And because you're Indian you start  believing you're destined to be poor.
It's an ugly circle and there's  nothing you can do about it.

So opines high school student and sometime  cartoonist Arnold Spirit, aka
Junior, who is despondent as his father  prepares to shoot Arnold's suffering dog
because there is no money to pay for a  veterinarian's services.  But a math
teacher -- whose nose is  broken when Arnold, in his frustration, angrily
throws his generations-old math book --endeavors to change Arnold's  sense of
helplessness:

" 'You can't give up.  You won't give up.  You threw  that book in my face
because somewhere inside you refuse to give  up.'
"I didn't know what he was talking about.  Or maybe  I just didn't want to
know.
"Jeez, it was a lot of pressure to put on a kid.  I  was carrying the burden
of my race, you know?  I was going to get a bad  back from it.
" 'If you stay on this rez,' Mr. P said, 'they're going to  kill you.  I'm
going to kill you.  We're all going to kill you.   You can't fight us forever.'
" 'I don't want to fight anybody.' I said.
" 'You've been fighting since you were born,' he said.   'You fought off that
brain surgery.  You fought off  those seizures.  You fought off all the
drunks and drug addicts.   You kept your hope.  And now, you have to take your hope
and go somewhere  where other people have hope.'
"I was starting to understand.  He was a math  teacher.  I had to add my hope
to somebody else's hope.  I had to  multiply hope by hope.
" 'Where is hope?' I asked.  'Who has hope?'
" 'Son,' Mr. P said.  'You're going to find more and more  hope the farther
and farther you walk away from this sad, sad reservation.'  "

I'd certainly heard of Sherman Alexie.  Back in my  bookstore days, a young
college student with whom I worked spoke  of him as a god.  But I'd never read
any of Alexie's books since  he hadn't yet written anything for children or
YAs.

THE ABSOLUTE TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN is a  semi-autobiographical
tale by Sherman Alexie, written for teen  readers, that is in turns wacked-out,
funny, heartbreaking, and  jubilant.  It is the story of an Indian kid who has
survived  a precarious infancy and is growing up on a reservation outside
Spokane.   It is a powerful story of friendship between two teenage guys who have
grown up together on the reservation.  It is the story  of Arnold's journey
after he is persuaded by the math teacher  to escape the rez school and
transfer to a high school 22  miles away.

And it is a tale of two cities.

"So what was I doing in Reardan, whose mascot was an Indian,  thereby making
me the only other Indian in town?"

THE ABSOLUTE TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN portrays  Arnold's struggle
through that ninth grade school year to succeed at  the high school in Reardan,
to which he often has to walk and/or  hitch.  It could be that Arnold's
greatest struggle involves the  conflict and guilt that comes from living among the
Indian kids and  grown-ups he's seemingly left behind on the reservation in
order to attain  that success.

Arnold's humorous and telling drawings (thanks to artist Ellen  Forney),
which are "taped" into the diary,  significantly bolster the book's boy-charm and
permit us to see,  in a second dimension, Arnold's view of his world.

"My head was so big that little Indian skulls orbited around  it.  Some of
the kids called me Orbit.  And other kids just called me  Globe.  The bullies
would pick me up, spin me in circles, put their finger  down on my skull, and
say, 'I want to go there'."

I loved hanging out in Arnold World!  Sherman Alexie  and his quirky,
in-your-face, first-person tale of contemporary life on and  off the reservation
are
both important and extremely welcome additions to  the world of young adult
literature.

Richie  Partington
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com