For those of you in or near Allegan, Holland, or Kalamazoo Michigan
on April 15, 16, or 17 you may be interested in a program featuring
Michael Benanav and his exceptional book, MEN OF SALT: CROSSING THE
SAHARA ON THE CARAVAN OF WHITE GOLD (http://tinyurl.com/39r8ods .
Benanav is a Jewish American journalist who wishes to travel with the
camel caravans to the salt mines before truck travel renders these
caravans obsolete (or so he thinks). He has to sign a waiver, in this
largely Muslim region, that states if he holds the caravan up, they
will leave him to die and rot in the desert. Average daily
temperatures are well over 100 degrees fahrenheit. The camels travel
about 18 hours per day through sandstorms and bone burning heat to
the mines in Taoudenni. Michael not only survives but he has a
fabulous slide show about this grueling physical journey (and even
more amazing mental journey). Of the more than 200 BBYA books I read
last year, this one is in my personal top ten (and it did make the
BBYA list)!

This program is suitable for middle school students through adult.
The book is published by Globe Pequot Press (ISBN 1-59228-772-7).
Although published as an adult book, it is very much at home in
school libraries. Michael is looking for other libraries (in any
state--he lives in New Mexico) to book him for programs. Send me an
email, if interested in contact information. Hope to see some of you
at one of these programs!

The program times are:

Sunday, April 15--2:00 p.m.

Allegan Public Library
331 Hubbard Street
Allegan, MI 49010
269 673-4625
http://www.alleganlibrary.org/

Monday, April 16--7:00 p.m.

Herrick District Library
300 South River Street
Holland, MI 49423
(616) 355-1400
http://www.herrickdl.org/index.asp

Tuesday, April 17-- 7:00 p.m.

Kalamazoo Public Library--Oshtemo Branch
7265 West Main
Kalamazoo, MI 49009
269 553-7980
http://www.kpl.gov/events/ShowEvent.aspx?id=2722&isMonthView=t

Ed Spicer (on the ballot for the Caldecott Committee and very much
wanting to win!)
http://www.spicyreads.org