Dear Colleagues,
In my hot-off-the-press book, Collaborative Strategies for Teaching Reading
Comprehension: Maximizing Your Impact (ALA Editions, 2007), I offer
background information and 21 sample lesson plans to support K-6
teacher-librarians in co-teaching standards-based reading comprehension -
information literacy lessons.

During my 12-tenure as an elementary and high school teacher-librarian, I
recognized that teaching reading comprehension strategies was foundational
for teaching information literacy skills.
*              Students cannot evaluate information unless they can first
comprehend it.
*              Students cannot meet new information successfully unless they
assess and access or build their background knowledge.
*              They cannot interact with texts unless they know how to ask
relevant questions and how to find the answers to their questions within
texts.
*              They cannot make effective notes or summarize if they cannot
identify main ideas and supporting details.
*              Students cannot synthesize information and transform it into
knowledge unless they know how to draw information from several sources,
interpret information and make inferences, and evaluate it.

Each of the reading comprehension lessons in my book is designed for
classroom teachers and teacher-librarians to co-teach classroom content
standards alongside information literacy standards. Each interdisciplinary
lesson lists ALL of these standards and through the lesson implementation
SHOWS how these standards are interdependent.

When I was a practicing teacher-librarian, I published two collaboratively
planned and taught lessons on the ReadWriteThink.org Web site:

Elementary: Peace Poems and Picasso Doves: Literature, Art, Technology, and
Poetry. (2003): www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id=93

High School: Behind the Masks: Exploring Culture and Self through Art and
Poetry. (2004): http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id=395

I have a bio page that speaks to the benefits of classroom-library
collaboration on RWT.org (a joint project of the International Reading
Association/National Council of Teachers of English/Verizon Foundation):
http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/author_detail.asp?authorid=67
<http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/author_detail.asp?authorid=67&lessoni
d=395> &lessonid=395

Yes, information literacy standards must use the language of the classroom
content area standards. (The people who spoke at the Standards Forum at ALA
Midwinter seemed to be in universal agreement on this point.) In addition,
teacher-librarians must increase our proficiency at finding the areas where
"our" standards intersect with "their" standards.

In fact, I believe all educators would greatly benefit by following ONE set
of standards. Clearly, I am not in charge of the world.

Best,
Judi

Judi Moreillon, M.L.S., Ph.D.
Literacies and Libraries Consultant
Author:  <http://tinyurl.com/yzvy5g> Collaborative Strategies for Teaching
Reading Comprehension: Maximizing Your Impact
 <http://storytrail.com/> http://storytrail.com