From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Carol Simpson
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 4:12 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Part 2: Carol Simpson's Challenge: Support for the Choir - Not
as long...

Hi LM_NET. I just need to say that I don't know this book, and can't endorse
it, despite the implication of my name on the subject here. I would say that
the emphasis in my editorial was more on advocacy than in specific lesson
plans or teaching reading. No matter how many lessons we teach, if we aren't
vocal and explicit with decisionmakers and other professional organizations,
we will still be trivialized. If we just do more of what classroom teachers
do, what value added do we have? None! In such a case there's no reason to
keep librarians because they are redundant. The point of my editorial was to
say that talking about information literacy standards with those =outside=
librarianship is essential. If ALA isn't doing a good enough job, then we
have to do it ourselves. That can't be done by only publishing within the
profession. Are you writing for math or science or English or social studies
publications? Are you presenting at those conferences? Are you attending
department meetings of those disciplines? They aren't going to know that we
have information literacy standards if we don't tell them!

Carol Simpson, Ed.D.
Assoc. Professor (mod. svc.)
School of Library & Information Sciences
University of North Texas
PO Box 311068
307 S. Avenue B, Suite 205
Denton, TX 76203
940-565-3776 (voice)
940-565-3101 (fax)
carol_simpson@unt.edu

>>> Judi Moreillon <storypower@theriver.com> 4/7/2007 11:18 AM >>>
Dear Colleagues,
In my hot-off-the-press book, Collaborative Strategies for Teaching Reading
Comprehension: Maximizing Your Impact (ALA Editions, 2007), I offer
background information and 21 sample lesson plans to support K-6
teacher-librarians in co-teaching standards-based reading comprehension -
information literacy lessons.