Hi All,

I see Judi's point, but I still wholeheartedly agree with Carol. We need
to be vocal and assertive with promoting IP2 standards to all educators
at all levels. Judi states:

"What is also true is that information literacy standards ARE part of
the standards in every content area, including the national standards
promoted by NCREL (mentioned on LM_NET by Deb Logan) such as these for
historical understanding: conducting historical research, evaluation of
historical resources, and the influence of ideas on society
(http://www.mcrel.org/compendium/SubjectTopics.asp?SubjectID=3)"

Both Deb and I must have initially addressed MCREL standards. In my post
on MCREL, I pointed out how there is no category heading for Information
Literacy. I think this is part of the problem; the standards are
embedded, and thus, essentially hidden. Is at any wonder we garner so
little understanding and respect among our educator colleagues? The info
literacy standards need to be recognized as distinct and merit
recognition in their own right (let's not confuse how we teach them,
hopefully integrated with other subjects, with the fact they need to be
recognized as vital standards in their own right). I still plan to write
MCREL about this egregious oversight.

Lastly, Carol encourages us..."That can't be done by only publishing
within the profession. Are you writing for math or science or English or
social studies publications? Are you presenting at those conferences?
Are you attending department meetings of those disciplines? They aren't
going to know that we have information literacy standards if we don't
tell them!" I too have been a long time advocate of this approach, but
sadly it doesn't always work. I recently wrote the editor of the journal
"Principal", the publication of the National Assn. of Elementary (and
Middle) School Principals (NAESP) quoting the ETS info literacy standard
stud and suggesting they add IP2 as a category on their web site; of
course, they have one for technology. Guess what? I was ignored. It
takes more than one or two voices; however, so why aren't more of us
writing?

Laura

Laura Brooks
Library Media Teacher
Amerman Elementary School
Northville, MI
brooksla@northville.k12.mi.us

"Unless someone like you cares a whole lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not."
 -The Lorax, Dr. Seuss