I had a number of emails about the issue of library pages being forced to
fit in standard templates, as discussed in my earlier posting. After posting
about this to LM_NET, EDTECH and TLC, I received around twenty responses.
Many people reported that they had recently put up pages that were part of
the school's framework, or that were offered by their library automation
software. Several people said that they were specifically told NOT to use
existing pages that they were designed and furthermore that they were not
allowed to link to an original page posted elsewhere. I received quite a few
messages from people who said things like: "Oh how in agreement I am about
your discovery. I have sadly watched the demise of creativity and the
development of template pages for several years now" and "I couldn't agree
with you more! I designed and maintained my own web site at two different
schools over a period of 9 years. Then, last year, my school decided to
outsource our school website and everyone was put onto a standard template."

Several people did point out that, because they were at a independent or
private schools, all web pages were considered marketing tools and thus were
expected to have pages that were standardized to conform with all other
school pages. Additionally, I did have one response from an individual who
preferred the professional and clean look of template pages. She did not
like very busy pages with large numbers of links, instead favoring pages
that had a very clean, streamlined look.I certainly agree that a cookie
cutter page is preferable to a page that lacks a professional appearance.
While I also agree that pages should not be cluttered with extraneous images
or distracting animations, I enjoy having pages that deliver a wealth of
information all in one place. Here are some additional sites that were
shared as a result of this posting:
http://www.irvingisd.net/maclibrary/
http://www.sasaustin.org/
http://library.sasaustin.org/sasaustin/library/uslib.php
http://www.gcisd.net/~michelle.henry/<http://www.gcisd.net/%7Emichelle.henry/>

Regardless of your choice/option for the pages you put up, there are several
things everyone should remember:
1. Adhere to good basic design tenets. There are websites out there that can
help you with this. In general, busy backgrounds, distracting images and
sounds, flashing lights, etc. are not recommended.
2. Be mindful of safety when using student images and names. My opinion is
that they should be avoided even if parents' permission is given.
3. Do not put up a page if you are not willing or able to keep it current,
with working links.
4. If you MUST use a template, take it as far as you can with original ideas
and features to make it unique.
5. For inspiration, visit outstanding library and educational websites.

Thanks so much to everone who shared information regarding this topic, Mary
Ann

"Try curiosity!"--Dorothy Parker
Dr. Mary Ann Bell
Associate Professor, Library Science