Lucky you -- I know of several high schools who have stopped doing research papers,
etc.
  They have to concentrate on "curriculum standards" and these reference skills are
not tested.....
  Makes my head hurt even more
  Paula

Maureen Irwin <msirwin@OPTONLINE.NET> wrote:
  David, As you describe the jobs a librarian does, yes, they are probably can
be done by low-level clerks and computers. But it will be a long time before
computers can do what I did today:
*thorough reference interviews with probing questions about what students
were really trying to learn about as they started on their 9th grade
English papers. I kept asking questions until they could articulate what
they really needed. Then we searched the OPAC together as I instructed them
how to reword their queries to eliminate irrelevant results. I reminded them
about using chapters in books that were more general than their own topics.
About using the index, and keywords in relevant portions to find more and
better information. I then helped them examine the databases and develop
appropriate queries, all the while encouraging them that this is NOT too
hard, but it does require thought and hard work.
*Had I "taught" all of these skills when they were in the middle grades?
Yes! But I taught it again today, and to at least 1/2 dozen kids who had not
been in this school then.
*I conferenced with a teacher about the video commerical for her class--what
worked and what didn't, and about using the output by her students to model
one with younger students.
*I proofread the book review wiki, and set up a new page for its expansion.
*Many kids stopped by for help with tricky citations for their Works Cited.
(Had we taught that in younger grades? Sure! Did they need to be reminded?
Sure!)
*I ordered one particular book for immediate delivery because it would be
"just right" for several of those aforementioned papers, and because I
could, it will be "just in time" too.
*I touched base with the Latin teacher about her students' progress on their
projects, and
*chatted with an 11th grader on his progress using a book I had found for
him at the public library. (Trust me, he NEVER would have found it on his
own).
*Then I attended and participated in our Curriculum Council meeting after
school. I have had major input there as we try to delineate a more
comprehensive research skills curriculum to integrate across the board.

Today was not an unusual day. I did do some repair cataloging, did
troubleshoot the circ system, and did some menial tasks like help kids at
the copier. But mostly I was engaged in professional tasks that could not be
done by computers or clerks. I think I'm OK for now.

Maureen S. Irwin, Library Director
Rye Country Day School
Rye, New York 10580
msirwin@optonline.net

Any book you have not read is a new book.

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.

Paula Yohe
Director Of Technology/Library Media Center
Dillon School District Two
405 West Washington Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Phone: 843-841-3604 Fax:843-774-1214