This is not a debate on whether to filter or not to filter. I switched to a new
system (the third one) this year, Lightspeed. It gives you the ability to allow
users to submit a request to unblock a site in real time. I have turned this on for
students as well as faculty and staff.

  I wanted to share with you that it has been a wonderful experience. I have had
the typical jr., high smart comments -- to serious and thought provoking questions
from kids. It has made the teachable moment a terrific experience. I had a teen
submit a request to have walmartapplications.com unblocked -- because they wanted
to apply for a job. I was able to explain to them that this was not a legitimate
site and give them the real walmart website. It also gave me the opportunity to
send them information on good sites and bad sites.

  I have had kids ask me for information on gradebook software because they work
with their brothers and sisters at home.

  I have had kids ask about ecards, games, etc. Based upon their questions I have
been able to create some webpages that provide them with some of the things they
have asked for. I have received ecards from some of them since I created a page of
acceptable ecard sites for them.

  I have had students who are lonely email me -- one I discovered is in a
wheelchair -- and another has home problems --

  I cannot tell you how worthwhile this has been. Yes it is alot of work and time
consuming -- but after all we are there for kids --

  so a suggestion -- if you can work with your tech dept. -- ask them if you can
respond to requests to have website unblocked -- you can help your tech dept. as
well as be able to answer kids directly.

  I sometimes get absolutely aggravated with the job I do now -- compared to being
in the media center -- but being able to be brought down to the real reason we are
all working in education -- is worth the extra time to me.

  Just wanted to share this --
  Paula

Paula Yohe
Director Of Technology/Library Media Center
Dillon School District Two
405 West Washington Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Phone: 843-841-3604 Fax:843-774-1214