This is in response to a posting  regarding
the librarian  seeking help about "And Tango Makes Three."  She wrote:

"ALA will  represent you, but they won't pay your mortgage or car
payment or your  children's medical bills."

I'd like to direct everyone's attention to one  of ALA's sister
organizations, the LeRoy C. Merritt Humanitarian Fund.   Headquartered at
ALA, the Merritt Fund has, since 1970, helped librarians  with financial
assistance who have been “threatened with loss of employment  or
discharged because of their stand for the cause of  intellectual
freedom.”  Unfortunately, the Merritt Fund is lacking some  much-needed
exposure, so I hope everyone on this list takes a moment to learn  more
about it, spread the word, and if so moved, to donate to the  fund.

If you visit the Merritt Fund's website (www.merrittfund.org)  you'll
see that:

It is devoted to the support, maintenance, medical  care, and welfare of
librarians who, in the Trustees’ opinion,  are:

* Denied employment rights or discriminated against on  the basis of
gender, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, age, disability,  or
place of national origin;
* Denied employment rights  because of defense of intellectual
freedom; that is, threatened with loss of  employment or discharged
because of their stand for the cause of intellectual  freedom, including
promotion of freedom of the press, freedom of speech, and  the freedom of
librarians to select items for their collections from all the  world’s
written and recorded information.

The Merritt Fund's secretary  is OIF's director Judith Krug.  Its
current Trustees are Jim Kuhn,  Lucille Thomas, and Martin Garner, all of
whom have spent a good deal of  their professional careers in defense of
intellectual freedom.  If you  or a librarian you know has need for
assistance through the Fund, they can  contact the office at
merrittfund@ala.org or by calling (800) 545-2433  x4226.  The
application for assistance is online  at
http://www.ala.org/ala/ourassociation/othergroups/merrittfund/assistance/merri
ttfundapplication.pdf.

None  of this is to say that the poster is wrong - there can be, in  fact,
serious consequences to standing up for what’s right.  As a donor  to
the Merritt Fund, I know that its resources are limited, and that  the
Fund is nowhere nearly as large as it needs to be, given the need  that
exists.  So I'd like to conclude by calling on other members of  this
list to join me in becoming a donor to the Merritt Fund.  You can  mail a
check to the LeRoy C. Merritt Humanitarian Fund, 50 E. Huron  St.,
Chicago, IL  60611 or call with your credit card - again, (800)  545-2433
x4226.

The Merritt Fund is a unique and often indispensable  lifeline FROM
librarians, TO librarians who are facing highly stressful  situations.

Thanks, everyone!