Judi, et al...

These are great questions, and I think that most of us know
INTELLECTUALLY that a flex schedule has many, many benefits over a
fixed schedule, but in our real lives, we just can't make it work! It
is one Teacher-Librarian against the whole building of classroom
teachers who want their prep time! I teach in a library endorsement
program and we have great discussions about the pros and cons of
each, but the reality is we must deal with the cards we are dealt.

Unfortunately, what I have seen, particularly at the elementary
level, if you are not on a fixed schedule, your position can go out
the door in no time. No matter how well researched, no matter how
much better the students can be taught, the curriculum can be
supported, etc., when it comes down to the almighty dollar, teacher-
librarians are expendable. Just ask the elementary librarians in the
Federal Way, WA school district. When faced with budget cuts, the
principals supported those positions being cut. They 'didn't
contribute to student learning' or some such quote.

We all must work within the system we have, and try to work as
collaboratively as possible within that system and not have to make
excuses. At least I see and know every child in my building. They
(the students) love coming to the library (except perhaps the 4th
graders, who at this time of year don't seem to love anything! ;-) ).
I know I don't get as many information skills taught as others, but
my kids read, love books and are becoming independent users of the
library. I communicate with the teachers about what we are doing and
sometimes they even come to be voluntarily!

Sometimes 'best practices' are also 'impossible practices'.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Barb Engvall
=^..^=

Teacher-Librarian