QUESTION:

Hello. I need to compile information about Special Needs Students and the Library
and I thought this would be a good place to get information from. Here are some
questions that I would like you to answer. I hope to hear from you! Thanks.

How does your physical library environment fit the needs of every student?

What types of technology do you have in your library to assist special needs
students?

What do you have in your collection to reach all types of students such as: Gifted
Students,  Learning Disabilities, Faculty and Staff (Professional), Reluctant
Readers, Boys and ESL students?

Do you have any miscellaneous programs or activities for your special needs
students?

REPLYS:

1. My library furniture is completely moveable, so my one wheelchair student has
total access.  If anything is in her way (as it was during our bookfair) we can
just push it aside so she can get through.  Our floors are tile, so her chair moves
easily.  The room is pretty full, so aisles are a little close, but she can manage
it.  She reads almost on grade level, so we have plenty of titles for her to read.
She has a severe case of cerebral palsy and has very limited control of her hands.
Her full-time aide helps her with using the OPAC and AR and she has her own
adaptive technology provided by the special ed department to help in responding to
questions.

I don't have software geared specifically for special needs students, but several
years ago, a girl with limited vision used the word processor with a large type
font in producing her papers.

I try to keep a sufficient number of titles that are 1 to 2 years below grade level
to serve our students who are reluctant readers or special needs, and I have
material 1 to 2 years above to serve our outreach students and others who are
advanced readers.  It's harder to find advanced material because the themes and
language are often not appropriate for the lower grades.

I have a small collection of recorded books for special needs, but they are not
widely used.

Virginia Y. Martin, Librarian
Ketron Middle School
Kingsport, TN 37660

2. I have a ramp and my isle ways are 45" wide for wheel chair access.
I have a wide variety of books to select from-- from easy reader to grade level and
beyond.
I do not separate the books out as to call attention to them, but have lists to
help them select from. I have found that for those LD students it is embarrassing
to call attention to their disability so I encompass all levels within my
collection -- this way it allows them a sense of normalcy.
Tech-- I have computers but for those with special needs they do have to use the
ones in their special ed classes if they need anything special or to fit their
IEP's. (funding issues)
I am still new to the library so I have yet to begin any special programs yet. We
do have a Deaf unit here and they have a club to teach the hearing students sign
language-- they met in the library until it got too big for the facility. and now
are in a large classroom.

hope this is helpful.
Karen Draper

3. We are a school for the blind, so our made adaptations are:

1. assistive technology on student computers - screen magnification
software (ZoomText) and screen reader software (JAWS for Windows).
2. CCTV (video magnifier) (see
http://www.enhancedvision.com/products/assistive_technology_for_low_visi
on_desktop.php for more info)
3. Kurzweil Reading Edge (see
http://www.uwm.edu/Library/adatech/kurzweil.html for a picture!)
4. braille labels on shelf ends, on all audio tapes and all braille
books
5. books in a variety of formats - regular print, large print, braille,
and audio (cassette right now, moving to CD in the future)
6. Professional library for staff, primarily on blindness/visual
impairment and some on multiple disabilities
7. Many of our students are multiply disabled, so most of our reading
materials are no higher than a 6th-7th grade reading level (most are
probably 3rd to 4th grade), even though we have students to age 22. We
also have a high interest/low vocabulary book section.

Elizabeth Hart
Library Technical Assistant
California School for the Blind
Fremont, CA 94536
ehart@csb-cde.ca.gov

4. Being a special education teacher and in library school,

I know auditory learners would benefit from audio books.

Visual learners would benefit from slideshows.  LD students need high interest low
level materials.  Gifted students should be challenged.  Students with mental
disabilities would benefit from  games, and interactive educational games.  Hopes
this helps.

 Camisha

Corie Meck, Library Science student
Marywood University, Scranton, PA
corie020@aol.com
AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
AOL.com.