Thanks for all who responded with some great ideas for the beginning of
the school year. I have decided to use the Jeopardy idea with the subjects
being "Book care", "Library Rules", "Checkout procedures", and maybe some
other topics as I still brainstorm this through. I also love the idea of
the bookbag full of items that have to do with the library--Thanks Teresa
for sharing that idea.

Below is the hit. If there are more ideas that come through, I will send
them on but I have visitors arriving from the US in the morning for the
week before school starts and I will not have a chance to do any more
posting until after they leave.

Carol Van Brocklin
Librarian
Faith Academy-Davao
Davao City, Philippines

Jeopardy game
Bingo cards with whatever you wish to review in squares - can locate a
template on lm_net

I begin by reading some "library type" books such as: The Library Lion (my
new
favorite), The Librarian from the Black Lagoon, Stella Louella's Runaway
Book, Mr.
Wiggle's Book, The Library Dragon, I Took My Frog to the Library and The
Library by
Sarah Stewart.
Then I ask them WHY are we reading these particular books the first week
of school
in the library?
They love to talk about what they know as far as library rules, the value of
reading, book selection, book care, library behavior expectations, etc.
It sets up the year for appreciating how we share the library with each
other and
the books dovetail nicely with character education, especially the respect
pillar.

Suzy Red does a great job of integrating ideas with some new and not so
new titles.
Her web site is :
http://www.suzyred.com/
Although these are the "Texas Bluebonnet" titles - some might have been
recommended
for other states' reading lists (grades 3-6).

Also, Peggy Sharp has great book  ideas - some of which you might
incorporate in
your back to school lessons - might be hard to get to the Philippines by
the 14th
though @ http://www.ber.org/audio/BN7.cfm
Through the Bureau of Education and Research

I don't know if this helps, but I pull out a backpack with several items
inside:  a
bar of soap, headphones, ruler, pair of high heal shoes,  a library card
and a
backpack.  I put one item on each table and have them brainstorm how each
relates to
the library.  They really enjoy the stileto heals and soap.  Each is a
symbol of a
book care rule or library rule.  Soap:  use clean hands, headphones:
speak loud
enough so that only one person can hear you library card:  self
explanatory, ruler:
used as a shelf marker, high heals: only walk in the library.  (I really
like the
high heals.  I put them a a table with boys and make them try to run in
them without
falling over.  They love to try!

I use the "Charley Chapters" videos with my K-2
students (probably would work at least through grade
4).  There are several videos about library rules and
book care. I use them as I introduce seating plans and
other procedures; they're about 12 minutes long, I
think.  The children enjoy them, and they give me a
bit of a "break" as we're all settling into the school
year.

You can find out more at
http://www.mediaincorporated.com/

I make a new PowerPoint visual to cover the materials each year.  The kids
love them
and look forward to seeing what comes up each year.  I may do a game like
Jeopardy
about the materials I cover each year.  I think the older kids would love
to play a
great game, I give cheep prizes from my prize drawer.

I read the book, No David, by David Shannon - then passed out cards to
each student
- on one side it said, No David! and the other, Yes David!  I made up
strips of
sentences  such as - David wanted to get to the bus first, and he dropped his
library book in the hall...Students would hold up their card with the
right answer
and said, No David! etc.  We discussed how David should have had it in his
backpack... It was an idea in one of Judy Freeman's books - The sentence
strips were
put in a basket and students chose one and read them to the rest of the
class, etc.
I plan to do it again this year.  Along with this lesson, I show examples
of books I
had discarded, and tell a dramatic story about how a book was damaged and
how I can
always find out who had the book previously in the circ. system.

  First day of school books are always fun!

I am doing some re-vamping myself this year.  My school is preschool
through 6th
grade at about 550 students.

  I have some books/stories I will share this year - What Happened to
Marion's
Book?, The Shelf Elf, L is for Library, and some non-fiction "about the
library"
books.  I also have some old beat up, tattered books that I will use to
show and
demonstrate what happens to books.

  preschool - I'll share What Happened to... and "about the library
books"; also I
want to get a white lab coat and share the tattered books as The Book
Doctor and
discuss how to keep books healthy.

  Kinder and 1st grades - I will share What Happened to... and my new idea
is to use
video clips to teach (see below)

  2nd and 3rd grades - these always seem to be my "messy" classes so I'm
going to
use the Shelf Elf.  I have the book and the little character.  My
assistant and I
have an idea about a Shelf Elf program.  The Elf will come and live in our
library.  We will even build a little house for him.  He will inspect the
shelves
and see which classes do the best job keeping the shelves neat.  I will
award a
trophy to the "neat" class each week or so.  We are still working out the
details.
 I will also use video clips with these students.

  4th grade - I'm still working on my ideas for them.

  5th and 6th - This is my big new idea... Video clips.  I purchased a
Flip Video
camera this summer.  I will use some of my library funds this year to
purchase at
least 2 more this school year.  This little camera is cool, easy and cheap.
http://www.theflip.com/   Once the video clips are made I will connect
this camera
to a TV and "broadcast" our PSA's to classes.  5th and 6th grade students
will
have the chance to create PSA's for our library.  Public Service
Announcements
will be 30-60 sec video clips to dramatize what happened to the damaged
book.  I
will announce this opportunity to students, hold auditions to find
students who
can speak loudly enough with expression.  Then, I will work with the
students to
create stories to dramatize what happened to the 1) torn page book, 2)
water-logged book, 3) sticky book, etc.  I hope to create at least 12 PSAs
with
5th and 6th grade students and then use these with Kinder through 3rd grade
students.  It should create a 12-15
 min book care lesson.

  PS:  I've planned this basic outline of service (my library has a
flexible schedule.)
  1st week 2nd day of school - 6th grade visits, meets me and checks out
books; day
3 is 5th grade and day 4 is 4th grade.
  2nd week - 3rd, 2nd, and 1st grades will visit, meet me and check out
books.
  2nd week - on Friday Kinders will visit and meet me, but they won't
check out just
yet.
  2nd week - announce, audition and begin creation of PSA clips with 5th
and 6th
graders.
  3rd week - on Monday PreSchool will visit and meet me, but they don't
check out yet.
  3rd week - create PSAs and begin visits with lessons for all grades.
  3rd week - Kinders have their 1st check out.
  By the 4th week of school I have seen all students, everyone except
preschool has
begun checking out books and comes for independent check out with Library
Pass;
lessons begin.
  Preschool will visit weekly, but they don't check out until October.