Dear colleagues,
THANK YOU so much for all your emails to me.  What a super community this
is.  I am posting the HIT below.  The overwhelming suggestion was A to Zoo
so I am going to order a copy for my library. It sounds perfect.

Thank you again,

--
Elizabeth Kyser
Librarian

 A to Zoo.  Check your public library for it.

This happens to me as well. If possible I take out a note pad and write it
down and tell them I'll bring them some material as soon as possible.  That
gives me time to think without being on the spot, and I'm usually busy
working on a million things right at that moment anyway!!

There is a wonderful book entitled "A to Zoo" which has subject, author and
title lists (annotated) of picture books. Not sure of the author but it is
available at either Amazon or B&N. I have used it often when picture books
by a particular subject were required.

Try "A to Zoo"...can't think of the author, but Lima is rattling in my
brain.  I am at home and can't look.  It lists things like you said.

I highly recommend A to Zoo. It provides a good subject guide to
picture books. It is updated every couple of years. If you go to
Libraries Unlimited (www.lu.com), you can find a write up about the
2005 edition.

Also, is your collection automated? If so, you should be able to
limit by call number and key word. That might help.

Good luck.

I know that feeling--the middle of the day, 2.6 million things on your mind
then someone comes along and wants another piece of it.  I usually ask for a
few specifics (fiction/non-fiction, when do you need it, etc) and tell them
I'll get back to them before the end of the day.  By then, I can come up
with a decent list, rather that just rattle off the first thing that falls
out.  I use our electronic catalog first so I might be able to offer
something we have.  One of the best resources has been Best Books for
Children or A to Zoo.  The only problem there is that neither is as current
as I'd like.  Nancy Keane's  Big Book of Children's Reading Lists might help
as well.

Hi Elizabeth,

Have you tried the Children's Picture Books Database at Miami University?
http://www.lib.muohio.edu/pictbks/  This should help you.  There is also a
text called A to Zoo: a Subject guide to children's picture books.  It's
quite pricey, though you could get a used copy.  Here's a link to Amazon.
http://tinyurl.com/26stjz.  Hope this helps.

Have you tried the book called A to Zoo which lists picture books by subject
etc?  Another option might be to log into Books in Print.  It is a database
usually available through a public library.  You can search by subject and
get a list of books to browse.

Elizabeth,
Feel free to use my website for finding books for grades 3-8. The book lists
are organzied by grade a nd subject.
http://www.bookwink.com

**************************************************************************************************************

I often feel the same way as you- having my mind go blank when teachers have
a question about books. It is frustrating, because you know it is your time
to shine!!

Try the book *A to Zoo *by Carolyn W. Lima and John A. Lima. Its a great
reference tool that allows you to look things up by subject. Keep it on your
circ. desk!

A to Zoo : A Subject Guide to Picture Books is what you need.  I forget the
publisher--Bowker, maybe,  It runs about $80 but is worth it.  I keep it on
my desk.  Teachers think I am sooo smart!  There are subject, author, and
title lists.  Just look through the list for each subject and pull out the
books in your collection, or try to  borrow from a colleague.

I, too, often draw a blank when asked to come up with a title quickly - I
learned to answer- "Let me check to see what I have available for yu and I
will get to you in a little while. "  This allowed me to look at my shelves,
doa little searching and find just what the teacher wanted - and sometimes
even more!!.

Hope this helps - but do, please, do a HIT as I am sure other sare also in
this boat at times. <gr>

A to Zoo is a very expensive book that does this very well. Maybe you just
need a little time. Could your reply be I'll get somethings together and
bring them to you at the end of the day, or at lunch, or in half hour (if
you have the time).

I love Judy Freeman's Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3 - great subject index.
Or - my public library's opac system allows you to narrow books down - e.g.
children's fiction and by subject - so that's another way to look. I think
there is another very thick reference book for picture books - but I don't
recall the title.

Many people have probably suggested books to you. I have exactly the same
problem, and have learned to tell the teacher: <It takes a minute for my
brain to come up with something. Go back to your room, and send a child to
me in 10 minutes to pick up your book.>

That gives me a little time to do a quick search, try to find my list of
books I keep around for just that purpose, or, if all else fails, pull up a
chair to a shelf and start browsing.

And it also reminds  teachers that they don't always get what they want, the
very second they ask for it.

Please post a list of titles that you receive for all of us with brains that
don't always perform on demand:)

Hi Elizabeth,

I know what you mean about drawing a blank.  And they always want it NOW!

One book I have used is Books Kids Will Sit Still For, by Judy Freeman.  It
has an index of subjects.

Our library catalog is usually very good for searching by keywords.  Even if
yours isn't, you can always look at someone else's online catalog for ideas
(see ours at http://library.ccs.k12.in.us/ ).  Or you might try your public
library's catalog.

Another source would be the Children's Picture Book Database at Miami
University at http://www.lib.muohio.edu/pictbks/

Since we have 11 elementary schools in our district, there are 10 other
librarians who may be able to answer my e-mail questions about books on a
certain topic. If you have other librarians in your district, that might be
a great resource for you also.