Fellow librarians, I have an issue that I have recently dealt with and for which I
would like some input.? I received my Library Science Masters from an excellent
university with a great library science program that doesn't happen to be ALA
accredited.? As I planned to work in schools in Kentucky, this lack of
accreditation was not a problem.? The professors, all so knowledgeable and sharp,
advised that it could be a problem in public library work, although in my region
where the university was especially well-known for its excellence, even public
library work could probably be pursued.? Well, there was an opening in my local
public library for a youth services librarian.? When I inquired about it to the
library director, I was pretty much told that since I wasn't ALA accredited, I
wasn't acceptable (or good enough is the impression I got).? What is so upsetting
is that the program of library science I went through was an intense, challenging
program in which I maintained a !
 4.0 through much hard work and study.? I am very well-versed in young adult
literature and enjoy working with teens, able to establish a good rapport with
them.? I feel that I am as knowledgeable and passionate about this work as anyone
who applied, but I was unable to convince the director that the lack of ALA
accreditation was not a detriment.? What is even more frustrating is that there are
employees at this library who don't even have a library science degree that are
"managers" of departments.? It seems that she is just beginning to apply this ALA
only rule.? I guess what I would like to know from my esteemed colleagues on this
listserv is just what is the difference between an ALA accredited degree and a
non-ALA one besides the paperwork?? I checked the courses I took against the ones
that an ALA institution offers, and I took the same preparatory courses.? All I've
been able to find is that the ALA programs lean more towards public library
service.? Any experience or!
  knowledge with this issue would be appreciated.? Oh, I am a member of
 ALA, which at this point makes me feel rather like the unwanted relative of an
affluent family.? Thanks.

Kathy Reel
Librarian in Search of a Library
Owensboro, KY? ?

AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
AOL.com.