Well, I sure had a fun day today. I went to see 3 librarian pals wow
the folks here in not-so-easy-to-please New Jersey at the
Library Sparks Road Show. Let me tell you, it was a blast.
Toni Buzzeo did the first 2-hour set on Reader's Theater
and she was funny, practical, and passionate. We all got
to participate in at least one of the 3 RT readings. Next up
was Rob Reid who did a whole thing on using music in the library.
We heard and sang lots of great songs--if you think you can't sing,
think again. Rob'll get you going. I learned a batch of good songs
I plan to use with kids. Rob was droll and comfortable to watch--
he got folks doing crazy stuff and they loved it. And last, but sure
not least, was Pat Miller, who writes the Stretchy books for Upstart.
She was full of ideas for games and ways to teach library skills.
She's so poised and knowledgeable. These three folks know their
stuff, and for me (as someone who's usually in the front of the
room jawing all day), what a treat to sit back and watch those pros.
If you get a chance to see any of these folks, don't miss it.

Judy

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
"Wild About Books" columnist
School Library Media Activities Monthly
Author of the all new Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
(Libraries Unlimited, 2006; www.LU.com)
and the forthcoming Once Upon a Time!:
Using Storytelling, Creative Drama, and
Reader's Theater with Children in Grades K-6 (2007)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com
www.JudyReadsBooks.com