Kathy, I have taught at both an ALA-accredited and a school library
(NCATE-recognized) program.    An ALA-accredited Master of Library Science
degree is considered the entry-level certification for a position as a
librarian in all types of libraries except for school libraries.  In other
words,  a school library teaching certificate will not get you a job in a
public (or academic, or special) library, but neither will an ALA-MLS
without the state teaching certificate (I know, each state has specific
rules, but basically....this is true) get you a job as a school librarian
in most public schools.     I always try to explain to my students the
differences so that they will know exactly what they are qualified for with
our degree, and what they are not qualified for.  It sounds to me like your
professors did the same.

The difference between the two degrees is not a matter of rigor, it's a
matter of content.   Even though the titles of the core courses probably
are the same, in an ALA-accredited program, Reference, Collection
Development, Cataloging, etc., will be much broader and will encompass the
entire range of librarianship, which includes all types of libraries, not
just school and public.  It will also include the wide range of technical
specialities that exist in the librarianship profession but outside of
libraries.    Sometimes school librarians who are enrolled in
ALA-accredited programs complain that much of what they learn is not
directly applicable to school libraries.   That's true, and it's the way
that it should be.  The degree qualifies the holder for a professional job
in any type of library.  That ALA has so successfully placed this
professional bar so high that it is universally acknowledged is a very good
thing.

You are also right, I suspect, that many of the jobs in public libraries
are held by non-librarians.  I also point that out to my students that even
the manager of a branch library may not be a degreed librarian.  The same
is true for those staffing college reference desks.    Whether to attend an
ALA-accredited library science school or an NCATE-recognized school library
program is a choice that must be faced at the beginning of the process.
Once the learning kayak has made it down the river, you can't decide to
change to a canoe.  If you want to run the river in a canoe, you have to go
back to the beginning and restart.  It's a choice that you have to make in
the early stages while still standing in ankle-deep water.   I always make
sure my students at least hear me explain their choice.

It's a little-known fact that ALA's Office for Accreditation manages both
the ALA-accreditation and the NCATE recognition process.  This is not AASL
(although they care as well), but part of the larger blanket of ALA and is
what our dues pay for (in a small way).    The staff in the office are
committed to school library education and have been in there pitching when
there is any question of misunderstanding of the rigor of the school
library programs.    So, to sum up a very long message --- your professors
were right.   Your school library teaching certificate and degree do not
qualify you for a position in another type of library.  It does not have
the content (and is not intended to) of an ALA-degree.  That has nothing to
do with rigor.

gail

Gail K. Dickinson, PhD
249-6 Dept of Educational Curriculum and Instruction
Darden College of Education
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, VA 23529
gdickins@odu.edu