My original post

I'm at a private pre-k to 5th grade school with a fixed schedule.  I try to work my
lessons around what they are doing in the classroom, but I don't get much input
from the teachers, so I use themes to make learning library skills stand out.

I have been kicking around some ideas for doing a spy theme in the library.  For
the older grades, we would have "case books" to keep our lessons in, and I would
create scenarios for us to investigate using the library resources.  I'd like to
incorporate codes/ciphers and disguises for some added fun.

I just know that this creative group will have some suggestions on other ways to
flesh out this idea.

Thanks,
Patty Molm
Librarian
Oak Grove Lutheran Elementary
Fargo, ND
molmpt1447@msn.com<mailto:molmpt1447@msn.com>

The responses

Highlights used to have a secret agent series that contained a passport and some
different activities inside a folder.  Each "dosier" you received was for a
different country so the kids got a lot of geography info.  My daughter loved it!

************************************
Just yesterday I went to the neat SpyMaker exhibit at our children's museum.  It
was awesome!  There are a few things on their webpage that might help you,
including some resources.  Just click on the "Spymaker" red link.
http://www.childrensmuseum.org/special_exhibits/spymaker/index.htm<http://www.childrensmuseum.org/special_exhibits/spymaker/index.htm>

Susie Highley
Indianapolis

***********************************
For the younger students you could make a little briefcase out of construction
paper and include a pretend magnifying glass.  Inside the briefcase include dewey
numbers or pictures, and then have the students match the numbers or pix to those
in the library.  I have also seen this used in a treasure hunt around the school
using parts of language.  It could also be used at the beginning of the year to
teach students where various rooms are such as the main office, cafeteria,
gymnasium, music room, etc. and then this would be a collaborative lesson.   Have
fun!

Jean Gerlach
SLMS

************************************
Gospel Light publishers used the spy theme for their VBS unit this year. You may
want to check out what they have available, especially since you are at a Christian
school.

I am using a travel theme, which the spy unit could also piggyback upon. How about
supplying students with a "passport," that you would stamp each time they check out
books?

Be sure to give us a hit!

Blessings,

Liz Frame
Librarian
San Antonio Christian Elementary School
fourefs@sbcglobal.net<mailto:fourefs@sbcglobal.net>

*********************************
What a fun idea!  When I saw your theme idea, I thought you have to use the picture
book Agent A to Agent Z  I can't remember the author.   Also, I had a very popular
non-fiction book last year called Ultimate Spy.  I know it's published by
Scholastic.

Another thought, could you do invisible writing with the kids somehow using the old
lemon juice trick?

Have fun!

Lizanell Boman
American Leadership Academy
Spanish Fork, UT

********************************
Patty,

I am at a K-4 school also on a fixed schedule, but I have been doing library
missions with my kids for years and they just love them!  After teaching a
specific library skill, I pass out cards with missions for them, like find a
fairy take by Paul Galdone or who is the author of Harriet the Spy.  After
all the cards are passed out to teams of 2 children each, I put on a tape I
have of the theme from MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE.  The kids have to find the book
as quickly and quietly as possible and return to their seats.  I thought at
first that the music would get them wound up, but actually they love it and
really work well with it on.  I do it with all but the kdg. and the kids
really look forward to them.  Good Luck!

Kathy Marceski
Teacher Librarian
Van Holten School
Bridgewater, NJ

****************************
I had a book of research mystery letters that the kids would read, jot down
questions that they needed to answer, then research the answers and reply back.

Unfortunately, that book is at school right now and I'm at home.  One was about the
"Leaning Tower of Pizza" in Italy.  Is it really made of  pizza?  There were
three-four questions that needed answering in each letter.  After researching, the
kids would write back on "Falcon Investigation" letterhead. (Because we're the
Falcons).

It was kind of hard, but a good exercise for fourth-fifth graders.

Another idea is that the DAR essay topic for this year is I Spy: Espionage during
the Revolutionary War.  You could do a theme around that.

I'm sending a copy of this email to me at school and I'll look for the book I first
told you about.

Another book I got (from Scholastic I believe) is History Mysteries.

Jan Cole