Here is a compilation of suggested titles and authors on this topic.
I truly appreciate the ideas provided by those that responded... they
all sound very interesting, and this was very helpful for my class
project I want to do with my students!

Rebecca Wallace
LMS Student, Longwood University
English Teacher, Goochland Middle School
Goochland, VA
rwallace@glnd.k12.va.us

The Green Dog by Suzanne Fisher Staples.

Listen by Stephanie Tolan

Check out Peg Kehret's books, but the level is 4th - 6th perhaps too low

for your school.  She has an interest in animals and many of her books

have that theme.

Calvert, Patricia.  Hour of the Wolf
Kehret, Peggy.  Cages

Kehret, Peggy.  Don’t Tell Anyone

Koja, Kathe.  Straydog

Taylor, Theodore.  The Trouble With Tuck

Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles

  Basically any dog book by Lynn Hall.  She knows her dogs and
horses, and her books run true.  Just have to sift out which have
girls as the main characters!  Most are geared for middle school/high
school. I believe the ones below are about girls and their dogs.
  The Shy Ones, by Lynn Hall

Shadows, by Lynn Hall

Dog Showing for Beginners, by Lynn Hall

The soul of the Silver dog, by Lynn Hall

Nobody's Dog, by Lynn Hall

Halsey's Pride, by Lynn Hall

Windsong, by Lynn Hall

Letting Go, by Lynn Hall

Stray, by Lynn Hall

Dog Stories, by Lynn Hall

Mystery of the Lost and Found Hound, by Lynn Hall

Careers for Dog Lovers, by Lynn Hall

Lynn Hall's Dog Stories, by Lynn Hall

Staffordshire Terror by Beatty

Shelter Dogs, also by Kehret.

  "How to Steal a Dog: A Novel" by Barbara O'Connor.
  Star in the Storm by Harlow