Anna
Over the course of working with collections at a variety of grade
levels, I  'discovered' 15+ publishers of non-fiction that produced the
kinds of books I needed [reading level, access to content, format etc.].
Almost everything I purchased from these publishers was terrific, so I
promptly began throwing away all of those other catalogs I got in the
mail.

Then I made contact with the companies and they sent their publishers
reps to me. So now I have 5 or 6 people with whom I deal with on an
annual basis [now I supervise 11 sites]. These folks have the answers I
need when I ask it or they find out. For example, here in central
California we needed books on grapes and fog, so the reps went to their
companies and located the titles. Because I am a loyal customer I get
great rates and discounts and the whole series, or not, is always
available. And, the publishers are always asking me for other topics
that we need and the grade level. One or two years later the books are
in their catalogs.

So my recommendation is to work with the publishers reps for companies
you trust and use the jobbers for the fiction books. If you'd like a
list of the publishing houses I recommend just mail me offline at
mbaker@selma.k12.ca.us

Margaret Baker
Selma CA