Hi all!
This is in no way meant to be a discussion on the pros and cons of AR....
trust me, I've heard the arguments on both sides.... and don't want to get
in a debate.

Short request; I need incentives for upper level students - 9th - 12th grade
tied to a certain number of AR points earned.  Not cheesy incentives, but
ones that teenagers (14-18) would actually work for.  Yes, cost is an issue,
so ideas for lower cost items would be appreciated!

Info behind my request;
I'm in a MS/HS level dealing with 6-12.  At the elementary level, AR is used
extensively (not exclusively) and rewards are set up at the beginning of
each year for different levels achieved with the ultimate goal being a
'mystery trip' at the end of the year.  In the past this trip as been to
places at least an hour away (sometimes 3-4) and exciting for the kids...
the best one my kids ever got to go on was to a Colorado Rockies game!...

Anyway, when these kids enter 6th grade, AR is sometimes used as a
requirement for grades (they have to have so many points by the end of the
quarter etc.), but that is the only 'reward'.  By 9th grade, AR is
completely 'discontinued'.

In lite of the fact that there are studies coming out saying that lower test
scores are being linked to  less reading in kids, and the fact that I LOVE
to read,  I'm trying to promote reading in the upper levels.  Most of our
9-12 grade kids don't pick up ANY book unless it's required reading for
class.

I am looking to use AR as ONLY a  measure that a kiddo has read a book (I
know, not necessarily the best measure), but then rewarding the kids who are
reading for enjoyment.  I of coarse would come up with a different 'measure'
for non-AR books.

I'm looking for appropriate 'point levels' (25 points first level, 75 points
2nd level, ultimate level 1000 -- just an example, I know 1000 is a lot!)
and then for CHEAP (read as non-expensive) incentives that would appeal to
14-18 year olds!  Some kids would LOVE a pencil... some would look at is as
nothing to work for!

The last big 'pusher' of AR in our MS/HS is retiring at the end of this
year.  We have a LOT of money wrapped up in this program, and I would really
HATE to see it go away.    I'm just trying to come up with a way to use it
in the future!

THANKS!

Shannon Valora, Media Paraprofessional
Hayden MS/HS, Hayden, CO