In the course of getting to know my new library, I've fallen into the habit of
having one at-work book and one pleasure book going (although I'm heartily enjoying
the at-work books, too :D). Currently, I'm reading:

Truesight by David Stahler, Jr.
(from the cover flap)
On a frontier world is a colony called Harmony. Like everyone who lives there,
Jacob is blind.

The Peshawar Lancers by S.M. Stirling.
(from the cover flap)
In the mid-1870s, a violent spray of comets hit Earth, decimating cities, erasing
shorelines, and changing the world's climate forever. And just as Earth's
temperature dropped in the shade of sediment clouds, so was civilization frozen in
time. Instead of advancing technologically, humanity had to piece itself back
together....

Now, in the twenty-first century, boats still run on steam, messages arrive by
telegraph, and the British Empire, with its capital now in Delhi, still controls
much of the world. The other major world leader is the Czar of all the Russias, who
rules most of Eurasia. Everyone predicts and eventual, deadly showdown. But no one
can predict the role that one man, Captain Alfred King, spy and hero, secret agent,
will play...

Sarah Loch
Librarian
Valley Park Alternative School