Thanks to everyone who responded -both on and offlist! There were several different
opinions - I think I'll find all of the information very helpful to consider when I
get to that point in my career.
Here are the responses I got offlist:
********
I recommend Follett. You can purchase books and audiovisual. You can visit their
website at http://www.titlewave.com/  where you can find reviews of books, lists of
recommended titles, etc. I have ordered almost exclusively from them for years and
they are excellent.
******
I used to order from B&T, Follett, Brodart......I've tried them all. I hated the
wait! Not only did they usually send the order in 2 shipments, but we waited
several weeks for that 2nd shipment. Of course the bestseller or award winning
titles were "out -of-stock," many times, so I would have to try again in the next
order!! arrrgghh.
********
I use my local Barnes & Noble, now, exclusively. We get a 100% fill rate -well,
maybe 99.9% -one shipment and no charge to UPS them to us, (if I don't feel like
picking them up - which I usually do, since I shop off the shelves with any
leftover $$).
We import our records from LOC, create our own barcodes, put the nice & heavy book
jacket covers from Gaylord - and Voila! An up-to-the minute new book order. My
circulation is through the roof compared to the old 'jobber' days.
*******
I use Baker & Taylor.  Their website is relatively easy to use and their prices
beat everyone I've ever compared them to - although their processing is expensive.
I tend to get their MARC records (which are free) and the media center clerk
doesn't mind processing them herself.
I don't like vendors coming to school and pressuring me to buy their products.  I
like to read Booklist at home and make a list of the books we can use on the B & T
website.
Good luck.
********
I absolutely love using Follett Library Services. They have online ordering. I can
upload my records and their site will analyze my collection and identify any books
on my order that would be duplicates. The site has reviews posted, pictures of the
book cover and sometimes offers different binding options. Their fill rate is good.
The online program stores my order and keeps a running total for me. I can build
several lists, separate lists, and merge lists. And they have a local rep who is
available to help in person or by phone. Books prices are discounted, processing is
reasonable and shipping is free on orders $50 or more. It saves me time and money.
You can experiment by setting up an account at http://www.flr.follett.com/login/

Anna Collins
acollins@ocss-va.org
Graduate student, Longwood Univ., Farmville, Va.
French teacher in Orange, Va.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.