Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo wrote:
> As a reviewer, we are entering one of those slippery slopes. It is all personal
>opinion. The problem is that what I believe is acceptable for any school - be it
>elementary, middle or high - may not agree with your opinion. There are some
>reviewers who consider it an affront and an act of pre-censorship to mention any
>"sensitive area" that may express concern.I also remember letters to the editor of
>various reviewing sources which criticized a reviewer for mentioning sex (for
>example) or not mentioning sex (for example). It is a no-win proposition...and
>perhaps it is a buyer-beware situation.Also, reviewers, come from various parts of
>the country - and I am always amazed in my YALSA/PPYA meetings and during my long
>ago Best Books for YA meetings, when I would mutter under my breath "filth - this
>is disgusting" - only to learn it is a book that is extremely popular in
>somebody's school library. I, often, find myself the only person believing a book
>had merit or perhaps not.
So, if I was reviewing it - how would I do that? When I review for Catholic Library
World, I always mention anything controversial (as I see it). When I reviewed for
VOYA, I often did not.I really don't depend on reviews anymore as I have found that
one has to know the reviewer - the political and social agenda of the periodical,
etc. After I read several reviews from the same reviewer I can usually surmise a
mind-set. I also hope librarians don't take any bibliography on which I have worked
- be it Best Books, Outstanding Books, or PPYA and use it as a buying list. It
shouldn't work that way.It does make collection development harder, I grant you.
Based on your message, I just finished a fascinating discussion with one of our
English teachers who is a writer. He believes it is the duty of all reviewers to
mention any plot element (such as in Blume's Forever (think Ralph climaxing) which
is important. We used Blume's book as the basis of our discussion.Fascinating topic
- tha
nks for bringing it up.AllanDr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo, MGCDirector of Library
ServicesBishop Kearney High School | A Golisano Education Partner125 Kings Highway
SouthRochester, New York 14617585.342.4000 x231585.342.4694
(fax)www.bkhs.orgCollege Prep. Plus.-----Original Message-----From: "Wolter Billie
J." [bwolter@JEFFCO.K12.CO.US]Date: 12/12/2007 10:45 AMTo:
LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDUSubject: Re: [LM_NET] UPDATE: Zero to Sixty CommentsThanks
Kay and others in the past for giving us a heads up to books that may or may not
work for our collections

I, too, review, and I will ALWAYS mention anything that might be
considered a "red flag" issue. My job is to fairly describe the book so
that others can make an informed decision. None of us has a budget big
enough to buy every book that gets a favorable review, nor should we. We
buy books that fit the needs of our individual schools. Part of that fit
is the standards of the community.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
MS/HS Librarian