There seems to be a trend in responses received, so I'm posting a
quick HIT based upon the results that I've already received.  With the
list of books that I shared (see below), there was an overwhelming
concensus (and sometimes in-depth reasoning) that all of these titles
(except "Walkabout" by Marshall) should be moved to the high school
library.  Some responded based upon their own experiences as
instructors (usually English teachers at the high school level) and
their use of the books.  Others responded that unless there are
exceptional / gifted readers, many of these titles may not be used as
heavily in the middle school as they might at the high school level.

Our students at the middle school have just started using the AR
program, so I'm sure that many of these titles will soon be neglected
as top choices once reading levels and points begin to figure into the
equation. With so many wonderful books for this age group, I hate
"rushing readers" into some of these books when they have not even had
the opportunity to read many of the new and contemporary classics at
the middle school level---which they haven't because our MS library is
in the process of being re-built specifically for this group.

Thanks for your suggestions....and here are the books that will be moved:

Catch-22
The Chocolate War by Cormier
Cold Sassy Tree by Burns
Daisy Miller by James
Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury
The Good Earth by Buck
Hamlet by Shakespeare
The Hiding Place by Ten Boom
I am the Cheese by Cormier
I Heard the Owl Call My Name
The Illustrated Man by Bradbury
Johnny Got His Gun by Trumbo
Jurassic Park by Crichton
Little Dorrit by Dickens
Moby Dick by Melville
Moves Make the Man by Brooks
Mutiny on the Bounty by Nordoff
My Antonia by Carther
Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck
Oliver Twist by Dickens
Ox-Bow Incident by Clark
Rebecca by DuMaurier
The Scarlett Letter by Hawthorne
The Three Musketeers by Dumas
To Sir With Love by Braithwaite
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Smith
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Stowe
Walkabout by Marshall-----this will be kept in the MS Library
Westside Story
When the Legends Die

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco, MLIS
District Librarian

Currently reading:  "Tested: One American School Struggles to Make the
Grade" by Linda Perlstein

Digital Bookends wiki / blog:
http://digitalbookends.pbwiki.com
http://shonda.edublogs.org/