From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Dorothy Scanlan
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 1:53 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: book "tolerance" - NOT!!

Would you have this book (Training Grounds by Sarah Veitch) in your
school library?  I doubt if even a public library would waste their
money.  Based on the description on Amazon, this is a pornographic book,
one that is part of a pornographic S&M series.  If this book were a
movie, I doubt that that student would be of legal age to view it as
surely it would receive a minimum of an "X" rating.  The last I heard,
minors could not legally possess pornography.   Therefore, giving the
book back to the student is akin to giving alcohol to a student.  Both
acts are illegal.  At the very least, when a student makes a poor choice
it is our responsibility as adults to correct that student!  Why are we
so afraid to do that anymore?!

  And speaking as a woman, this is definitely not the kind of book I
would be o.k. with a boy reading.   What kind of opinions about women is
this student forming?

  In my home county, where my husband is a high school teacher, if a
student is caught with pornographic material, he/she is taken to see an
administrator, a conference with a parent is called, and the student is
suspended.

  Yes, we want our students to read, but what's wrong with having
standards for what they read?  The word "censorship" has become so
twisted and perverted!  It is NOT censorship to tell a student that a
particular book is inappropriate for him/her to read!  I am the
librarian in a boys' middle school.  I'm sure if I had a subscription to
Playboy, the library would be the most popular place in the school!
(Duh!)  But it really isn't appropriate for me to do that, is it?

  Dorothy Scanlan
  Librarian
  St. Paul's Middle School
  dscanlan@stpaulsschool.org