Richie's Picks: THE BEST OF 2007

"What are we coming to?
I just don't know anymore."
-- Gillian Welch doing Radiohead's "Black  Star

Now that I am a real librarian, I theoretically deal with more  than just
books.  (Not that one could tell from where I'm sitting  right now...)

Here is a most amazing and entertaining online  educational resource to share
with students and to think long and hard about  ourselves:

http://www.storyofstuff.com/

This was such a great year for books.  Not that there are  any bad years but,
even more than usual, there are so many stellar  books that I must
reluctantly leave off than the short list of my Best of  2007.

I'm beginning with picture books this year.  No list of  superlatives would
be excessive in describing my favorite picture  book of the year, a perfect,
breathtaking, and incredibly  essential  picture book for older readers:
WHY WAR IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA by Alice Walker, illustrated by  Stefano Vitale
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/why_war_is_never_a_good_idea.html

And the one that has been such a big hit with all  the hundreds of students,
teachers, and librarians to whom I've read  it:
PREVIOUSLY by Allan Ahlberg, illustrated by Bruce  Ingman
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/previously.html

Graphic novels:
Nearly seven years ago, I wrote about how much I loved ARTEMIS  FOWL by Eoin
Colfer.  I've been booktalking it ever since  then.  By far, my favorite
graphic novel of 2007 is ARTEMIS FOWL: THE  GRAPHIC NOVEL.  The story doesn't let
up for one moment and the artwork and  the quality of the finished book are
stunning.  This one should be in  every single school library from elementary up
through high school.

The other graphic novel that has really stayed with me, a book  that will
hopefully cause some young readers to become animal rights  activists:
LAIKA by Nick Abadzis
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/laika.html

For young adults, my favorite pair of the year  are:

MISTIK LAKE by Martha Brooks
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/mistik_lake.html
THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN by Sherman  Alexie
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/absolute_true_diary_of_a_part_time
_indian.html

Another pair that have really stayed with me are by  longtime favorite YA
authors:
BEASTLY by Alex Flinn
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/beastly.html
WHAT MY GIRLFRIEND DOESN'T KNOW by Sonya Sones
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/what_my_girlfriend_doesnt_know.htm

And one at the young end of YA that really moved me with it's  power and
relevance:

RED GLASS by Laura Resau
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/red_glass.html

There is one book that is so easily, hands down, my  favorite story of the
year, the book that should absolutely win the next  Newbery.
THE WEDNESDAY WARS by Gary D. Schmidt
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/the_wednesday_wars.html

There are a whole bunch of others from 2007 that I am  booktalking
constantly.  My absolute favorites are:

DEMONKEEPER by Royce Buckingham
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/demonkeeper.html
REVOLUTION IS NOT A DINNER PARTY by Ying Chang  Compestine
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/revolution_is_not_a_dinner_party.h
tml
EMMA-JEAN LAZARUS FELL OUT OF A TREE by Lauren  Tarshis
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/emma_jean_lazarus_fell_out_of_a_tr
ee.html
ELIJAH OF BUXTON by Christopher Paul Curtis
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/elijah_of_buxton.html

 (http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/red_glass.html)
IF A TREE FALLS AT LUNCH PERIOD by Gennifer  Choldenko
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/if_a_tree_falls_at_lunch_period.ht
ml
THE OFF SEASON by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/the_off_season.html

In nonfiction,
THE ULTIMATE WEAPON: THE RACE TO DEVELOP THE ATOMIC BOMB by  Edward T.
Sullivan
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/the_ultimate_weapon.html
M.L.K.: JOURNEY OF A KING by Tonya Bolden
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/mlk.html

And one more piece of nonfiction from totally out of left  field:
NEW HAMPSHIRE 1603-1776 (VOICES FROM COLONIAL AMERICA) by  Scott Auden with
Alan Taylor, consultant.
I never did get to write about this one, but I previously  knew nothing about
colonial New Hampshire, it was so engaging, and just so  totally opposite the
typical book that a student would snore through in search  of information for
a report:

Finally, can a couple of hundred girls be wrong?

I wasn't surprised to booktalk BLUE LIPSTICK by John Grandits  and have them
fighting over it every single time.  But the day  that surprised me was the
one when I DIDN'T get a chance to  booktalk it -- it was just amid a pile -- and
there were STILL  three girls shoulder to shoulder, reading it together
immediately after my  presentation ended.
http://richiespicks.com/users/stories/picks/blue_lipstick.html

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com