Thanks so much to the many who responded to my original request.  It's taken time
to compile, but I had several requests for hit, so I've done my best to summarize
all of the suggestions.

My original question was for suggestions from all of you as we contemplate a
separate section for our grade school library.  This section would be a place for
early chapter books, in addition to the "E for Everybody" books and the longer
chapter books.

Many people have done this with great success.  Those who considered it and decided
not to were concerned about the stigma for students whose peers might be reading in
the "fiction" section, and who would be perceived as less-capable readers if they
were choosing from the "easier" books, a valid concern, especially in some settings.

There were several ways of achieving a separate collection.  Some left the books
interfiled, but put a colored label protector over the label, or colored dots on
the spine, or some other designation such as a happy face or gold star.  This
required no change in the call number in the catalog.  Others created a separate
section but left the call number in the catalog as it was originally done, with no
special designation for the new location.  For some, the separate section was
placed on spinner racks or baskets in the fiction section.

Still others created a separate section and changed the call number on the book
spine and the catalog record.  Some designations that were used were ABC, ER (Easy
Reader), CH E (Chapter Easy), EC (Easy Chapter), RDR (Reader), E+, J Read (Junior
Reader, which included nonfiction titles), JF (Junior Fiction), YR (Young Reader),
BR (Beginning Reader), BC (Beginning Chapter), Easy, J Fic (Junior Fiction), JNF
(Junior Non Fiction), and C (Chapter).

Some of the names given to that section of books were Readers, Novel Friends, Lite
Readers, Juniors, Everybody Chapter Books, Junior Middle Fiction, Junior Fiction,
Easy Readers, Ballon Books, Beginning Chapter Books, Reading Is Fun, Chapter Books,
Middle Fiction, and Short Fiction.

It was nearly unanimous in the responses that creating a separate section was a
positive move, and helpful to students.  There is some additional work involved,
both with processing and training, but most felt it was well worth it.  Several did
caution that it was important to explain to students what the section was, and to
encourage its use.

Again, thanks to all who responded.  If I have have made mistakes or omissions, you
have my sincerest apologies!  And if you would like me to forward to you the full
emails (all 70+ of them!), just let me know.

This list is awesome!

Brenda

Brenda Hahn, librarian
Dell Rapids Public School Library