A few moments ago, I sent our an update of additions to American Indians in
Children's Literature, and I got this reply:

------------------

Why is there always someone who wants to rain on someone else's parade?  Why can't
children just enjoy a good read?  I am sure you don't believe in Santa, the tooth
fairy or the Easter bunny because they are incorrect in guiding young children's
beliefs.

For those that want to study the American Indian ways and beliefs, good for them.
For now I will read and enjoy books, just because.

--------------------

I think it merits a reply, because others may have similar thoughts.

Santa and the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny were all in our home when our
daughter was young. All three will likely be in her own home someday, should she
decide to have children.

There is a MAJOR difference between Santa/Tooth Fairy/Easter Bunny and American
Indians.

At some point, children are told or learn who Santa was/is, and that the tooth
fairy is one of their parents.

Sadly, the chance that they get factual information about American Indians is far
less likely to happen. Studies show that children AND their parents hold mistaken
ideas about who American Indians are.

Beyond that, WHY EQUATE AMERICAN INDIANS WITH SANTA, THE TOOTH FAIRY AND THE EASTER
BUNNY?

I imagine the person who wrote to me saying "just because" she can. A rather
arrogant thought and frankly, a frightening attitude.

Debbie
_______________________________

Debbie A. Reese, (Nambé Pueblo)
Assistant Professor
American Indian Studies
1206 West Nevada
Urbana, IL 61801

Email: debreese@uiuc.edu

Internet Resource & Blog: American Indians in Children's Literature, located at
http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com

UIUC's Native American House http://www.nah.uiuc.edu
TEL 217-265-9870
FAX 217-265-9880