Debbie Reese wrote:
> A few moments ago, I sent our an update of additions to American Indians in
>Children's Literature, and I got this reply:
>
> ------------------
> ...For those that want to study the American Indian ways and beliefs, good for
>them.  For now I will read and enjoy books, just because.
>
> --------------------

I would add to Debbie's reply that there is undoubtedly an omission in the person's
final sentence:

"For now I will read and enjoy books THAT PRESENT AMERICAN INDIANS FALSELY AND
DISRESPECTFULLY, just because."

I share Debbie's feelings that this is both arrogant and frightening coming from
anyone, and especially from an educator.

Are there any other groups of people (I include all North American indigenous
peoples) whose cultures are still appropriated, blended together and misrepresented
in modern literature in this way? I can't think of any.

I wonder if it would help people struggling with understanding this to imagine if
some powerful culture landed in Europe (for example) and treated all Europeans the
way North American Indians were and are being treated: then there would be cute
picture books from that powerful culture's folklore which featured animals dressed
in 'costumes' made up of German (Bavarian) lederhosen, Ukrainian headdresses or
French berets, Dutch wooden shoes and Greek blouses, all mixed together; various
religious symbols would be scattered throughout the illustrations as well, just
because they look interesting.

The stories would have nothing to do with the remaining people of these original
diverse cultures, and the dominant culture wouldn't care to find out the histories
or significance of these spiritual symbols, or the accuracy of the depicted 'native
dress'. It would just be a cute story for children (non-European children) to enjoy.

Does this help?

Lesley Johnson, Teacher-Librarian
MJ Shannon Elementary School
Surrey, B.C., Canada