This is in response to the replies regarding
the post by Debbie Reese and the subject of
picture books and their portrayals of Native
Americans.

This summer I took a Multicultural Lit.
class through Portland State, and with 20 years in the classroom
and now 7 as LMS, I considered myself educated and
aware of culturally sensitive issues.
I was surprised to learn how much I did NOT KNOW
and how many issues, views and perceptions
I had never even considered.  It opened up
so many new doors of thought and I consider it one
of the best learning experiences I have had to date.

I certainly did not agree with everything that I
heard or read, but it most assuredly gave me new eyes for my job.
I applaud those who are working for authentic and
accurate representations.  And I now have a broader and more solid foundation for
the decisions that need to be made regarding selection and use, etc.

I highly recommend this type of class for all of us and
love the idea that we can still learn, whether we agree or not.

John Wolfgang, LMS
Gilbert  Heights School (K-5)
David Douglas School District
Portland, Oregon