Thanks to everyone who wrote in with advice.

So far, the issue has been kept to the child's behavior -- Children
should not be harassing one another on the school bus.  The book has
not been challenged.  Interestingly, children from grades 2 on up
have been VERY interested in borrowing books about the human body.
We don't have any with graphic or lascivious pictures.  Even the one
in question had cross-section, function-only illustrations.  I'm
quite relieved that things seem to have quieted down.  If a formal
challenge bubbles up, I'll let you know!

I do believe that it is important for children to have access to the
information they seek.  Obviously, we don't have sex ed. materials
available on the open stacks.  (They're in the parent section.)  I
wish we didn't have to worry so much.

Take care & enjoy the weekend,
Robin

Robin Shtulman
Erving Elementary School
28 Northfield Rd.
Erving, MA  01344
413-423-3326
shtulman@erving.com
http://www.erving.com/library/erving_library.htm

"Let's go to the library; I bet we can learn some valuable things
there."
Harry & the Potters' -- Problem Solving Skills