Here is my original request for help and the suggestions I was sent.  Please note,
even some of the "safe" sites still can turn up unacceptable images, as I
discovered when trying the suggestions listed below.

  Hi,

   While our school has a filtering system in place, we have been
experiencing
> more and more problems with inappropriate and sometimes pornographic
images
> showing up when our students are using Google Images and/or Yahoo
images.  For
> example, a search for "Valentine's" images, on both sites, turned up
pictures
> with the "F" word.
>
> I will be speaking with my principal about this issue, but in the
meantime I
> really need to find some free images/clipart sites that will NOT
return
> anything objectional.  I already know about www.classroomclipart.com
and would
> like suggestions for other sites, ones where the students can
navigate the
> site easily and NOT need to register any personal info.  My students
are
> middle schoolers.

  Thanks,
  Diane

  We use two:
    Pics4Learning     http://www.pics4learning.com/   copyright friendly
images for education
  and
  Stock Xching-  http://www.sxc.hu/  Public Domain Stock Photos -
contains over 100,000 quality stock photos to use free of charge
Try these.
  http://www.freefoto.com/index.jsp
  http://historyimages.com/
  http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/index.html
  http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/
  http://www.pics4learning.com/
  http://www.barrysclipart.com/
  http://school.discovery.com/clipart/index.html
  http://www.dorlingkindersley-uk.co.uk/static/cs/uk/11/clipart/home.html
  http://www.free-clip-art.com/
  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/default.aspx
  http://www.teachnet.com/how-to/clipart/index.html
        http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/default.aspx?lc=en-us&cag=1
  Also, I use Google or Yahoo and ask for the topic     ".... clipart" and seldom
if ever have a problem.
  Pics4Learning, (http://www.pics4learning.com/) a "copyright-friendly"
site
of photographic images specifically chosen for student and teacher use.
You
can browse by topic or do a simple or advanced search. The site even
has
lesson plans for using images in a project.
I have not had any problems with www.ditto.com
  Are there any image resources on your New Jersey State library
databases?  There is also a growing collection on WorldBook online, to
which our district subscribes.
  Google and Yahoo images are blocked on our server.
We have some listed at
http://www.eatohillss.eq.edu.au/Library/HotLists/general/graphics.htm

Try Public Domain Image Sources [Wikipedia]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain_image_resources  Huge list of
sources by category.
  I don't have any for clipart, but as far as your image searchs go, our
district only allowes searched on >www.picsearch.com> and <ask.com>
because they have found them to be safe.
  I like www.clipartheaven.com.  It can be confusing to find some images
but it usually works for me.

Diane Lungaro, librarian
dianelu@yahoo.com
Sussex Middle School
Sussex-Wantage Regional Schools District
Sussex, NJ 07461

Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask your question on
Yahoo! Answers.