Thank you all for your kind replies.

I am posting the replies without the names of the people who sent them.

Hello

If any of you has any  ideas for Black History Month for kindergarten age
and also for a Bulletin Board on the same subject. Something that kids can
do (no quilt)

Please share

I will be posting it as a HIT if anyone will want it .

Sincerely

Madeleine Zember

Kindergarten Center

Hempstead School District

New York

88888888888888888

Yesterday, I read them a biography of Dr. Mae Jemison and had them color a
picture I found on line.  It wasn't a very good picture because I blew up a
thumb nail from an African American heroes coloring book

88888888888888

A wonderful list is at:

http://dewey.asd.k12.ak.us/uhtbin/cgisirsi.exe/z8FsAhjTuT/LIBRARY_RE/315*
*450088/1/1174/X

88888888888888888888888

Our Kindergarten teacher has students design a commemorative stamp (she
gives each the paper with a "stamp" of about 9" square outlined on it ) for
a prominent African-American.  They have discussed many of these individuals
in class as well, so students know something about each of the people who
are being assigned.  This is a take-home project, and parents are asked to
help as well, so that it leads to discussion at home and family involvement,
but the children do the art work themselves so the final stamps are usually
very cute.  It also lets the children make a connection between the
accomplishments of the individuals and the way to depict it on the stamp.
Then the stamps make a timely bulletin board.

888888888888888888888

Maybe you can do an African craft?
Or read an African Folf-tale..

8888888888888888888888

 I do a Coretta Scott King Award bulletin board with an explanation of the
award.  Then, I put books out that have won the award.  I do this in
February since it gives a perfect opportunity to highlight the award and the
students have also learned about MLK in January.  And, most of the books
deal with black history.

888888888888888888888

Perhaps you could use the faces of famous people on one side of a bullein
board
and what they were famous for on the other.  Yarn could be attached to the
faces and the kids would match the person and deed by hooking the yarn to
the
deed.

8888888888888888888888

http://www.kinderart.com/

http://www.kinderart.com/multic/mlkjr_crayons.shtml

Hi,

I found and used the lesson plans for *The Crayon Box That Talked* with the
crayon pattern with first graders. The crayon box bulletin board looks great
and is very appropriate for Black History Month as well. Good luck.

8888888888888888888
Madeleine Zember

Kindergarten Center

Hempstead School District