Dear Resourcerii,

Just a reminder that Valentine's Day is coming, and it's time to start
your version of the Literary Lovers contest, if you run one.  I just
wrote out twenty couples' names on red hearts that I'm taping all around
my circ desk:

Heathcliff and Cathy (Wuthering Heights/Bronte)
Estella and Pip   (Great Expectations/Dickens)
Becky and Tom  (Tom Sawyer/Twain)
Roxanne and Cyrano (Cyrano de Bergerac/Rostand)
Quasimodo and Esmeralda (Hunchback of Notre Dame/Hugo)
Scarlett and Rhett (Gone With the Wind/Mitchell)
Lara and Yuri (Dr. Zhivago/Pasternak)
Cosette and Marius (Les Miserables/Hugo)
Hester and Dimmesdale (Scarlet Letter/Hawthorne)
Juana and Kino (The Pearl/Steinbeck)
Wang Lung and Olan (Good Earth/Buck)
Antigone and Haemon (Antigone/Sophocles)
Odysseus and Penelope (The Odyssey/Homer)
Rochester and Jane (Jane Eyre/Bronte)
Frederick and Catherine (Farewell to Arms/Hemingway)
Daisy and Jay (The Great Gatsby/Fitzgerald)
Winston and Julia (1984/Orwell)
Mercedes and Edmond (Count of Monte Cristo/Dumas)
Mattie and Ethan (Ethan Frome/Wharton)
Elizabeth and Darcy (Pride and Prejudice/Austen)

 Kids have to come up with titles and authors, based on the couples I
give them.  If I don't get a lot of entries, I might make it a bit
easier by putting out the books so kids can browse them, and then it
becomes more of a matching exercise. Everyone who submits an entry gets
a heart-shaped chocolate.  I bought three heart-shaped boxes of
chocolates that I put on display, and will choose first, second and
third-place winners on February 14.

     If anybody wants my entry form, send me an email and I will send it
as an attachment.  I just LOVE LM-Net, so this is my Valentine to you
all!  Happy Valentine's Day!

       Bonnie

   ||  Bonnie Fulmer, |   Librarian     ||
   ||    Spackenkill  |   High School   ||