From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Dana Nilsson
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 8:41 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [LM_NET] Tar: Elem New Newbery Book

Hi all, I am wondering how some of you feel about The Higher Power of
Lucky and it's reference to male body part? I have read the entire book
and it is a cute story, the reference to the body does not add any value
to the story at all. I know I cannot read this story aloud to a class. I
know it will be challenged. I feel some frustration with the editors and
publishers that let this type of conversation pass through. It seems as
if it is there just for shock. Just an additional fact: I wrote about
this to this listserv using the name of the body part and it got
monitored out-- Anyway, question is, how are any of you dealing with
this new award winning book?

Dana Nilsson
Teacher/Librarian
Sunnyside Elementary