Hi Everyone,

  Here are some ideas I received from my request last week. I am grateful for all
the help. Please forgive any repetition. I was copying and pasting. I would say
there is a market for this if there are any authors out there.

  Julie Potvin Kirchner
Fifth Grade Teacher
  Sunset Hill Elementary
Plymouth, MN

  Amazing Grace by Hoffman, as well as Boundless Grace, An angel just like
  Me Polocco's Pink and Say, Chicken Sunday
  Ellen Levine's Henry's freedom box
  Pinkney is a good artist and author, all of them!
  Martin's big words, My brother Martin, Through her eyes, it is Friday
  and I can not think anymore.

  How about Hamster Chase by Anastasia Suen based on Ezra Jack Keats'
  characters?

  You may already have gotten this suggestion, but I thought I'd send it anyway, in
case you hadn't.  Take a look at the Just for You! series published by Scholastic.
The books are written by a variety of authors and they cover a range of reading
levels.  You might also take a look at  the Wright Group's offerings.  We got a set
of books from them that feature African-American characters.

  I have a series called " Just For You" ( I think, I am at home right
  now) .. all with African American characters. .. Not as long as Henry
  and Mudge, but still an early reader. I buy mine through Scholastic
  Book Clubs, so they are in paperback, if that is a problem. I would
  imagine the regular publisher ( not sure who it is) prints them in
  Hardcover.. They have various authors as well...

  Not quite as low as Henry and Mudge, but have you considered the Ann
  Cameron Series - The Stories Julian Tells, More Stories Julian Tells,
  The Stories Huey Tells, More Stories Huey Tells, and others as well as
  the books that feature their friend Gloria? Some of these are about 2.5
  readability.

  How about From Slave to Soldier, a ready-to-read by Deborah Hopkinson?

  You might consider these titles:

  Little Bill series from PBS
  Evelyn Coleman, The Glass Bottle Tree
  -----, The Foot Warmer and the Crow
  Janice N. Harrington, Going North
  Andrea Davis Pinckney, I Smell Honey
  William Miller, The Conjure Woman
  Belinda Rochelle, Jewels
  Synthia Saint James, Sunday
  Natasha Tarpley, I Love My Hair!
  Mary Hoffman, An Angel Just Like Me
  Connie Rose Porter, Addie: American Girl series
  John Steptoe, Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters
  Any of the Anansi stories from Africa
  Bell Hooks, Happy to be Nappy
  Carolivia Herron, Nappy Hair

  Authors to consider:
  Walter Dean Myers
  Faith Ringgold
  Angela Johnson
  Ntozake Shange
  Patricia Hubbell
  Patricia McKissack
  Camille Yarbrough
  Julius Lester
  Ezra Keats

  And a good reference is Pamela Toussaint's Great Books for African
  American Children.

  Sharon Draper has  a series with African American characters that seems
  good.  Look for Ziggy and the Black Dinosaurs which is the first in the
  series.

  Picture Window Books and Capstone Press (try their Pebble line) easy
  readers are great about including many different ethnicities.

  Hi. Try the "Little Bill" books by Bill Cosby. Crosby Bonsall's "I can read"
books (HarperCollins?) have a group of friends (one is Afro-American) solving
mysteries. The Ezra Jack Keats picture books are the first ones to have an
Afro-American lead character; you should have them.

  Bill Cosby has written some easy readers with African American
  characters.
  My students really like them.

  Julian, dream doctor / by Ann Cameron
  There is a series of these books.

  Uptown /
  Collier, Bryan. E COL   2000.

  Me & Neesie /
  Greenfield, Eloise. E FIC GRE   [2005]

  Boundless Grace
  Hoffman, Mary, E HOF   1995.

  Amazing Grace /
  Hoffman, Mary, E HOF   1991.

  Virgie goes to school with us boys /
  Howard, Elizabeth Fitzgerald. E HOW   c2000.

  Flossie & the fox /
  McKissack, Pat, E MCK   c1986.

  The black snowman /
  Mendez, Phil. E MEN   c1989.