I did receive some responses from people about whether school LMSs were
using instant messaging within their schools. The lack of responses
probably means (for a variety of reasons) it isn't being used, but I
was impressed by those who were using it which extended even to the use
of Mac's built-in iSight cameras.

Some of these responses are VERY exciting. As with the discussion about
the number of schools with IT departments who block blogs, I'm sure
there are a number who block IM as well.

We are not supposed to use IM but some of our teachers use it to
communicate among themselves socially.  The problem with using IM, as I
understand it, is that you have to have an open internet
connection...and to do that, you are putting everyone in the school
online at the same time.  I think lack of bandwidth may present
a problem.  We are also not supposed to download music files or use
streaming audio.  They used to forbid streaming video as well, but had
to make an exception when they began providing access county-wide to
Streaming Video...and again, if we get too many people using the
network with high-powered applications at once, it slows things down
considerably.  We're working with half a T-1 line.  The other half
powers our building-wide phone service.

We use IM with our teachers. I would say 25% of our teaching staff and
admin use IM. Teachers are asking to be added daily. We have a school
of 75 staff and 950 kids. The teacher like when they don't have to come
down or send a kid to ask a simple question.
ie. Can I send 5 kids down to work? what's that website you were
talking about? I need these materials? And similar questions.
It is working well. Any additional questions just let me know.
We just got new iMacs earlier this year, with the built in cameras and
I have teachers who will now do iChat with me instead of calling on the
phone. One in particular will use it when use it when her class has a
question and she will have her kids around her. Of course, if I don't
answer she just emails me. Unfortunately not all of the classroom
teachers wanted iMacs so they got new Dells, but unfortunately they
didn't get the web cams nor the software...

We can only connect to people in our own building. It sure would be
nice if we could connect to the other elementary school!
We use IM within our building heavily but  not just for the library. IM
really facilitates communication of both a formal and informal type and
our staff uses it daily. Teachers communicate with each other and the
building administration as needed.

Staff communicates with me in the same manner for whatever needs they
might have. Often a tech question can be handled through an IM chat or
I can answer a quick question about schedules, a title someone is
looking for, etc. I have sent other teachers links, transferred
documents, informed them of some event in the media center, and
discussed materials needed for a class visit via IM.

We can also communicate with other teachers in other buildings in the
district although they generally use MSN Messenger rather than AOL
Instant Messenger. (Many of us use both) There has been discussion in
the past about blocking use of messaging services but, at least in our
building, our administrators, counselors, and office staff use it as
much or more than teachers to get work done.

f.

Floyd Pentlin
http://web.mac.com/sycamorehill/iWeb/LibrarianAYS/Home.html
Region III Director, American Association of School Librarians
ANSWER MACHINE/FAX: 660.747.0683 - E-MAIL: calaf@charter.net
  2007 Candidate for AASL President-Elect
"AASL will continue to invigorate the library 'brand' as a dynamic and
central presence in the educational process."